Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:04 PM   #1
jcr

Big Hi to all here at Pana Forum

Once again I'm asking foroptions...Thinking on buyingNd filters for my FZ30, I was thinking on a Cokin "P" Series (feel free to comment this option) as well as some Neutral Density &color graduated, but so many option arise...full ND ? Graduated ND ? 2x 4x 8x...Color Graduated...Tobacco ? Mauve ? Blue ?Others ?...and for confusion some post say Cokin ND filters are not so good...other brands exists with much better optical resin...I think some other full color options are not needed, software also exists for them...Tell us what You think

Help wanted...sugestions for a good set are welcome...
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:16 PM   #2

i used the cokin a-series on my fz30, and now on my pentax ist DL. the P series, to be quite frank, will look silly on the fz30, as it will be an inch and a half too big on all sides of the lens (there is quite a size difference between the two). the P series is for huge lenses, i don't think it has any optical quality enhancements over the A series. i have several graduated Aseries filters (they're plentiful and cheap on ebay) - people usually sell sets for $30-40 bucks. i got several blue, green, a sunset one, fog, and graduated greys for about $40 bucks. sold the ones i didn't want for $25! it is a cheap way to see if you like using them or not. i don't use them often, but they are invaluable for landscape and outdoor shooting with a bright horizon.

even if you can't get them used on ebay, i personally wouldn't be able to justify spending the (quite large) price difference between the A and P series from cokin.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 6:14 AM   #3
jcr

Thanks for the reply, one more question about the "A" series, does not show vignetting on Wide mode on the FZ30 ?
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:58 PM   #4

no it doesn't; the cokin filters are all square, so the corners are away from the edges. i haven't seen any vignetting in any of my photos. actually, a nice thing about the size of the filters relative to the lens, is that the graduated filters can actually cover the entire viewable image, for a fully filtered effect if you want. the reality of the lens, is that even though it is about an inch across, only the center portion is actually used by the camera's sensor for capturing the image.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:01 PM   #5
jcr

Thank You one more time...I've been away for a little trip.