Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 29, 2006, 6:39 PM   #1

Be brutal if you like. Trying to learn. What do you think?
Attached Images

dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:08 PM   #2

On my PC the pic looked OK. Dont know why all the noise on this forum and the same on a 4x6 print I made. Sht at S mode speed 1000. Usually I have no probs but am just entering this high of shutter speed.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:19 PM   #3

Real nice photo.

I tried a quick fix of the noise.
Attached Images

RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:15 PM   #4

I think you need to examine how you arre handling that photo ...at ISO100 there should not be that much noise......Start back with the original and see where things went wrong....I am guessing you resampled that image somewhere along the way.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:17 AM   #5

Thanks for your suggestion but the original is gone. I only use Picasa to PP so I cant explain the noise I am sending another pic from the same shoot and it seems OK. In the first pic I oviously zigged when I should have zagged somewhere.

Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:08 AM   #6

Very nice shots! You should be able to hit the undo button on Picasa and go bact to the original.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:11 AM   #7

That is much better but still a good bit of noise.....I can not tell but if that is a 100% crop the noise in this photo is about normal, I find it difficult to use a 100% crop from the Fz30 because of the noise....but its nice to have the ability when needed.

A sugesstion...when you edit a photo and save it always add a letter or something to the file name, that way the original photo stays in original condition.

For instance, if you open P1000006 and edit, when you save it, save as P1000006A...or edit a copy in the first place.

And while I am not familiar with Picassa , most editors allow you to duplicate the photo as another layer and edit on the duplicate layer then when you save as another name there was no damage done to the original at all...
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:40 AM   #8

Well done on capturing the hummingbird, getting those quick moving little guys isn't easy.

My FZ30 often turns out pictures with noise like that when there isn't enough light. With the wrong camera settings "not enough light" can mean a slightly over cast sky. I agree with the others at ISO you shouldn't be seeing that much noise. Looking at the EXIF info I think I see why there is so much difference.

Picture1:
Shutter 1/1600
F/5.6
ISO 100
Focal Length 66 mm

Picture2:
Shutter 1/1000
F/2.8
ISO 100
Focal Length 50 mm

In picture one you're going to be letting a lot less light get to the sensor with the faster shutter speed and much smaller apeture, which leads to noise in less than full sunlight, at least with my FZ it does.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:26 PM   #9

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. I was trying to freeze the wings and resorted to a quite high shuter speed giving noise and reducing the overall quality of the pic. I can get a much better pic of the bird if I use the simple P mode but of course cannot freeze the wings. I guess there is always a trade off. I am still amazed what this cam will do and I have a long way to go. Thanks again.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:47 AM   #10

Im still trying. This one shot in P mode.
Attached Images