Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:48 PM   #1

Hi,

After long research for succesor of my FZ3 I recently purchased lumix FZ30 (coming to conclusion that for my needs it might be better choice then dSLR) and I still could return it back.

I am having two stuck white pixels on EVF with which I could live with. However, I am having one red pixel on sensor (and consequently pictures) that is bothering me. It is stuck about 10% red but not 100% red on all pictures. I could hardly notice it until I do 100% magnification, but it is there on the same plce all the pictures including picture with the lens cap on. Noise Ninja does not help with it.

I am not sure is that noise or it is stuck pixel - that it is 100% red I would be sure it is stuck, and that it ever moves I would be sure it is noise but it is always there at different days at the same place haflway between black and red. My problem is that apart from that problem I really like the camera, and if I take it back I would not be able to find another at the same price range (retailer is nice and would accept return but is out of stock for FZ30s and I could not find another at the comparable price). If I returned it I would have to wait for FZ50 and hope that noise reduction does not obliterate all the detail in real life shots.

I would like to ask for help from FZ30 owner - should not take more then 10 minutes, and would help me to know is my camera behaving within design parameters for fz30 or not.

What I did was that I downloaded pixel tester from this location:

http://www.starzen.com/imaging/deadpixeltest.htm

I dowloaded zip file, opened it and run the program.

I took a picture at F9 and 1/30, full manual setting with lens cap on. I opened it in that program and I setup "Threshold for hot pixels" to 6 and for dead pixels to 250. I got result of 0 dead pixels with 15 hot pixels and luminance between 6 and 13 on them.

According to Panasonic site the closest repair center is hundreds of miles from here, and if I need to ship over the mail and wait for a weeks then return to retailer is prefered.

I would really appreciate if somebody could repeat this test and let me know is this within design limits of camera. If it is within design limits of camera, I think I would keep the camera but I have only few more days to make decision so help is really appreciated.
velk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:42 PM   #2

To add to previous message - I did additional research at:

http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...ot_pixels.html

And it appears to be a real problem as it is visible with about 10% red on shutter speeds as low as 1/2000 of the second (and ambient temperatures in 80 degree range). In addition, there was quite a few blue ones with a problem on same speeds.

Based on that, and although I would expect that all cameras would have hot pixels (and probably more the higher resolution is), I think that my camera is on the bad side so I am afraid I would have to return it and wait for FZ50 , but if anybody does the similar test that I did and shares the result, it would be really appreciated.

Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:57 AM   #3

I meant to do the test yesterday evening and forgot....old age....give me a couple hours and I will do the test.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 9:32 AM   #4

Here is what I got
Attached Images

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 2:46 PM   #5

Same thing here, Gene...

2-second exposure in TIFF shows 0 issues...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:43 PM   #6

Genece, Telecorder,

Thanks a lot - your help is really appreciated. I was definetelly having a bad pixel in camera and I returned it. Unless I find good deal on FZ30, I would probably wait on FZ50, but I definitelly owe you one.

Just to help other who find this with the search function at some point in future, with the lens cap on and exposure as low as 1/2000s and ISO 80, I was getting 15 slightly hot pixels, with the amplitudes reported as 6 to 13 for all but the one that was present on all the pictures and that was 44 (final series of tests that I did before returning a camera).

In order to see that, I had to change 60 threshold to 6. It would be interesting to know what you guys are getting with 6 instead of 60 before running the test, but that is only if it is not a lot of work and you feel it would be usefull to people who have this problem in the future - you already really helped a lot, and I would not dare to cause any additional inconvinience.

Interestingly and based on URL that I quoted, some manufacturers have auto correction for this problem (e.g. camera periodically checks for dead pixels and remaps dead pixel value with the value of surrounding pixels), while the others require trip to service center. It appears that Panasonic is in the later group, but this feature would be really nice to have in the future models, as sensors could develop bad pixels later and having this remapping software represents difference between major pain and minor inconvinience (or, like in this case, customer returning camera and keeping it).

(Edited on 07/31/2006 to correct spelling errors)
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:49 PM   #7

My Tiff was at 1-second exposure ISO 80...

I ran the same image at 0, 10 & 17 lowerand 255 upperthreshold limits:

0 threshold:
0-Dead 5896532 Hot
At 10 lower threshold:
17 Hot varying 10-13 in Luminance
At 17 -- zero hot/Dead

As his info indicates, low threshold 'hits' may be noise - that's why he starts default at 60 and 250...

I know for some digis (My D50), there is a pixel mapping program that can be used to 'map' out stuck/hot pixels so one doesn't have to clone out pixels in images...

Not sure if Pany offers this for the FZ-xx for us consumers but it may be what they do if/when one is returned for obvious stuck/hot pixel issues...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote