Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:38 AM   #1

I confess, I love my photograph albums. I send probably 50 shots month to York to have prints made. The file sizes are huge, shot in jpeg fine, so the upload is painful and takes forever. I do have a high speed connections, but uploads are always slower the downloads.

Would I lose a lot of quality if I shot in one of the lower resolution EZ modes? Would it be better to shoot at the maximum resolution then batch them to a smaller file size? If so, what size?

Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing. Start the upload, go do the laundry, have lunch,clean bird cages....(you get the idea) and just wait on them?

Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:17 AM   #2

That would vary with the size of the prints. If you are having 4 X 6 prints made there isn't any reason to have the image over 1800 pixels in the widest dimension. There isn't any use for over 300 PPI. Make sure to also save the originals.

If you are sending the pictures in a 4:3 ratio rather than 3:2 you are letting the printer trim the top and bottom of the long edge the same amount. You might not want it trimmed that way and it is better to crop before you send the images.

What image editor are you using? You can do everything in one step in Elements or Photoshop.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:58 AM   #3

First ...get yourself a card reader it will upload 2 gbs of photos to your computer in a couple minutes (less than that but I never timed it)

And then I really did believe the 3EZ photos from the FZ30 were fine, and they were for everyday shots.....But the photos my wife took on our vacation were all in 3 EZ and I wish I would have never showed her that mode.....while the photos are fine for on screen viewing, they leave less room for PP or to print.

That is only my opinion but if its the loading to the computer that bothers you, get a cheap card reader.....I use a 10 dollar one at home and a 3 dollar one in the camera bag for use on the laptop when away from home.

This is the reader in my camera bag but as I said I paid 3 dollars on sale.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e&n=172282
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:12 PM   #4

It sounds like your real issue is with your upstream bandwidth from your ISP. Not much you can do about that.

I would suggest taking your pictures at full resolution, then reducing the resolution before uploading/printing. I have used a freeware program called PhotoRazor that was quick, easy and seemed to do a good job. It will resize an entire folder of images and put them in a new folder, so it's non-destructive. Google for it and you should find it.

I think you might want to experiment also. Have the same picture printed from different resolution copies and see if you can see a quality difference.

Just my 2 cents!
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:21 PM   #5

Hey thanks everyone,

I realized as soon as I did it, that I hadn't actually said what size I print. Mostly 6 x 4's and the occasional 8 x 10.

I have a card reader and they are so wonderful. Much faster than wire to camera to the PC business.

Yes, either my upload is pathetic or York's site is. Very very slow to upload large file sizes. I think I will experiment as suggested. Shoot the same thing in several different in-camera resolutions. I did download PhotoRazor. Very slick program, but it's crunching my files down to like 600k. I need to read a little more about. I picked 2000 pixels on the wide side.

And then I really did believe the 3EZ photos from the FZ30 were fine, and they were for everyday shots.....But the photos my wife took on our vacation were all in 3 EZ and I wish I would have never showed her that mode.....while the photos are fine for on screen viewing, they leave less room for PP or to print.

Too funny. I tend want to use 3.2 at 4.5 EZ, but I have a bad habit of not paying attention to the fact that I'm exceeding the grid lines. I use it all the time for practice work since I'm not going to print anyway. I use the all out max 8mp when I think I might have a good shoot. The crop is wonderful.

Really appreciate all your help and thoughts,

Debbie

Capella is offline   Reply With Quote