Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:51 PM   #1

I just got my first decent camera, A Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 (for 300 bucks with a 1 gig ultra II memory card, I love ebay), and I am quite happy with the first images to come out of it, I have to work on my teqnuique with it a bit as there are some overblown areas, the lighting wasn't so great in the first place.
looking forward to using it more:

Shrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:40 PM   #2

Hi, I just got my FZ7 a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I am using it as much or more than my dslr. Enjoyed your action pics. Wish I knew how to post pictures...dg
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:29 PM   #3

Those photos are very nice ....you just can not avoid some blown highlights at times especially with cameras with small sensors......
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:25 PM   #4

Good job of freezing the action. Keeps that baseball from smacking your camera! :lol:

As for blown highlights, I agree with Genece.I recently found this article/video that shows a technique in Photoshop (I assume most other good photo editing apps have similar functionality) to help bring out underexposed areas of a photo. It also seems to work to some extent to tone down blown highlights. I've found it can really help balance out contrasty pics.

http://www.photojojo.com/content/tut...ute-photo-fix/

Hope you don't mind, I tried it on one of yours. What do you think?

Attached Images

RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 6:18 PM   #5

Nice job, interesting teqnuique although it has some holes if your looking for a high quality image, sadly nothing can help images where areas are entirly full white values, which is where I used the term overblown,
Nathaniel
Shrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 7:00 PM   #6

Shrimpy -
True. If you truly blow out the highlights to white, there's not much you can do.
And I agree that PP can't transform a bad photo into a "high quality" one (ss much as I try!), but I find it can often salvage one that would have otherwise hit the recycle bin.
I also find that I enjoy PP, which can be lead to over-processing on my part sometimes.

Enjoy your FZ-7. These Panny's are definitely fun cameras!
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote