Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:38 PM   #1

Hi everybody!

I have so enjoyed this forum.It has been a complete pleasure viewing everyones pictures, getting acquainted with many of you andsharing an experience, a laugh or even a frustration. It's been really great!

In reading many of the posts and reply's here in the forum, it has raised some questions for me. Here area few questions for any oneof you to tackle if you have the time.

Photo related questions:

1. How does aperture help with focus or does it?

2. How can I takethe sharpest possiblepicture with my camera?

3. In auto mode (which I rarely use now) the exposure seems to be a little too bright. Is this something I've done or is it the camera default?

4. What is the best focus to use for macro, spot, center weighted, or multible?

5. When taking 12X zoom picture of birds (or whatever) what focus would be best?

6. I basically understand what it means to change aperture and/or shutter speed and what it can do for the picture. I also understand basically how (S), (M) and (A)mode work on my camera. My question is, what is the benifit of using (P) mode over using (M) or (A) or (S) and what would be the benifits of any one of those over another? I've just been using Manual mostly.

Non photo related questions:

A. How does one look at the exif-data on someones picture?

B. How can I post multible pictures in one posting frame without having to reply to myself?

Thank you all so much for your patience and time on any help you might be able to offer.

Teree

gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:48 PM   #2

1. The larger the aperture oppening the smaller the DOF, or the less of the image will be in focus. This is usefull for selectivly keeping only your subject in focus

2. Don't really have much to say, take pictures in as much light as possible.

3. Usually your camera has the ability to set the exposure, even most cheap digital cameras have a feature like this, look at it on yours. Your camera may even have a dedicated easynav button for it, look for a rectangle devided by a dioganal line with a plus on one side and a minus on the other.

4. Depends on the size of your subject, I don't have much experience with this

5. Again depends on the size of the subject, usually use the focus mode that allows the most view of your subject without having anything else in the focusing area.

6. As sayed above apeture changes the DOF and Speed changes the amount of time is shown in the picture. These modes are necesary because as the apeture gets larger, more light is let in, and the photo is brighter. On the other hand the faster the shutter speed the less light is let in, so the darker the photo. These two must be balanced to achieve the proper exposure. Use apeture priority if you want to use a specific DOF, and the camera will automatically adjust the shutter speed to get enough light (if the camera can't lower the speed enough to compensate when the apeture and priority are displayed it will be red). On the other hand if you want to take, for example, sports pictures which require a very fast shutter, you want to use Shutter priority (S) to have the camera automatically set the apeture to compensate. In this mode it is particlarly important to watch for the settings being red, because in speed past 1/000 of a second it is very hard to get enough light. If you want to controll both use M, full manual, I find this to be rather un-useful.

I'll leave the non photo related to other people,
The Shrimp
Shrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:20 PM   #3

Its a problem to say it in english, but I will try.

Set "Exposure" on your FZ30 to -2/3 EV, this will get better results (darker pics).

This is a global setting and it stays.

A.

Install an EXIF-VIEWER (freeware) on your Computer.

Then you must save the pic on your Harddisk, start the wiewer and

load the picture.

Now you are able to view more than 40 setting-details, like the camera settings,

aperture, time, camera model, flash or not, ISO, Program etc. etc. pp

and the phone number of the photographer ( joke),

greetings

Klaus
kklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:13 PM   #4

gotta.learn wrote:
Quote:
Hi everybody!

I have so enjoyed this forum.It has been a complete pleasure viewing everyones pictures, getting acquainted with many of you andsharing an experience, a laugh or even a frustration. It's been really great!

In reading many of the posts and reply's here in the forum, it has raised some questions for me. Here area few questions for any oneof you to tackle if you have the time.

Photo related questions:

1. How does aperture help with focus or does it?
Quote:
Not sure thats the best way to put that but all lenses have a sweet spot(sharpest focus (IMHO it is about 6.3 on the FZ30))
Quote:

2. How can I takethe sharpest possiblepicture with my camera?
Quote:
I use center or spot focus and keep in mind the above answer
Quote:

3. In auto mode (which I rarely use now) the exposure seems to be a little too bright. Is this something I've done or is it the camera default?
Quote:
I use program mode for almost all shots and center meter and I can adjust the brightness of the photo by where I meter...but many use tha -2/3 exposure comp.
Quote:

4. What is the best focus to use for macro, spot, center weighted, or multible?
Quote:
Spot and manual focus or maccro AF
Quote:

5. When taking 12X zoom picture of birds (or whatever) what focus would be best?
Quote:
I use 1 area fast focus but you need to remember what you see in the EVF is what you get.....if it looks out of focus it is.

6. I basically understand what it means to change aperture and/or shutter speed and what it can do for the picture. I also understand basically how (S), (M) and (A)mode work on my camera. My question is, what is the benifit of using (P) mode over using (M) or (A) or (S) and what would be the benifits of any one of those over another? I've just been using Manual mostly.
Quote:
I use program mode because I am not good enough to use the others and the camera is way smarter than me...if you understand exposure completely Manual may be your best option, but if your like me and do not understand all I should about exposure....use program modeuntil you get a feeling of how good a photo the FZ30 can take.
Quote:

Non photo related questions:

A. How does one look at the exif-data on someones picture?
Quote:
Download Opanda IExif
Quote:

B. How can I post multible pictures in one posting frame without having to reply to myself?
Quote:
To post more than 1 photo you need to have the photos hosted on the web somewhere...Photobucket or Flickr are a couple options
Quote:

Thank you all so much for your patience and time on any help you might be able to offer.

Teree
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:27 PM   #5

Shrimpy, kklaus and genece,

Thank you sooo much for taking the time to answer these questions. It is very, very much appreciated. :-) I really love my FZ30 but, I'm so new at this camera, I feel like someone who is used to using an electric typewriter and just bought a computer to write letters on. There is so much more that can be done with such a powerful tool, but the learning process of all it can really do is sometimes daunting.

Encouraged with my newly aquiredknowlege,

Teree :-)
Old Aug 4, 2006, 8:30 AM   #6

Its hard to judge your learning curve......but if you are just starting......Put the camera on P mode......and then choose some settings in the menu to see what works best for you.

And it has a lot to do with how you take a photo and what you take photos of.

I shoot a lot of wildlife so I set the camera up for that and make some adjustments when shooting a landscape or other scenery.

But go outside in good light and try these settings

P mode with the ISO set on automatic

1 area fast focus

Center meter

Image stabilization on mode 2

and the exposure compensation set to 0

and NR set on low.

The other settings can be left on standard until you become more accustom to the camera.

See if you can take a good photo with those settings if not change something and try again under similar conditions.....really the only thing I would change, if it had an easier way to access it is I may use pattern metering more often but I have learned a work around so I don't have to change the setting.

What I am trying to say is those settings are very capable of taking very nice photos, do not be real quick to write them off and move to other settings, those will work, but they may not be the best for your style of taking photos.

Those are the settings I prefer, but if my wife grabs the camera, the photos come out just as good as mine, she may blow theshy outa little more often , but that is usually fixable.

The FZ30 is a fine camera and its a pretty smart camera also.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:04 PM   #7

Thank you so much genece! I have already implemented your settings and am anxious to see how it works for me. I too like to take pictures of wildlife, both far and near. I'm not so good at the macro stuff as I don't have a special lens to get those really closeup, in your face type shots but, I have sure enjoyed what I've gotten so far.

I have already been pleased with the P setting you suggested. This looks way more doable than trying to adjust in the manual mode settings for every picture. I don't know where I am on the learning curve either, really. Just that I have never used a camera with manual settings before. All my former cameras havealways been automatic. As a result, I've been visiting the libraries quite alot these days trying to make sense of the camera lingo :lol:as well as trying to apply my limited knowlege to my photos.

I agree, the FZ30 is a great camera. I am excited as I'm slowly beginning to seewhat it can really do. I appreciate all the tips and helps that I have received and I can't wait 'till I can become somewhat proficient with my fabulous new camera.

Thanks again,

Teree