Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:23 AM   #1

Hi folks ona dull but warm day here in South West UK,

As well as my brand new shiny FZ30 I also use a Canon 20D DSLR which is more or less the same Mpixel count. With the 20D my RAW images come in at around the 8MB size. With the FZ30 my RAW images are 15MB+ and the automatically recorded associated Jpeg isaround2MB which results in approaching 18Mb per image capture.

Ona 1Gig CF card in the 20D I get just short of 120 RAW images whilst on the FZ30 with a 1Gig SD card this falls to only 55! Blimey!

Is there a good reason for this? and can you switch off the recording of a duplicate Jpeg version of the image (can't find this in the manual)

Cheers, Dave B
dave2704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:28 AM   #2

While my opinion is not shared by many others ...I see no reason to use RAW in the FZ30......it eliminates the burst mode which is a big deal to me.

Plus the FZ30 can produce a great JPG, which if you do not blow the highlites, leaves a good bit of room for PP.

If raw worked in the FZ30 as it does in my D50 I could see more use for it.

But to answer your question I have not found a way to turn off the JPG with RAW.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:58 PM   #3

TVM for your response genece, Can't imagine that I had missed this in the manual. Cheers for confirming.

I always shoot RAW, unless there is a reason to do otherwise (say a family party or whatever). RAW ability was one of the reasons that I went for the FZ30. It does give you more work but it also gives you more scope to manipulate as you wish and I would rather be in control via a sophisticated software package like PhotoShop than leave things like sharpening, colour temp, etc to the camera's on board software. But it's very much 'Horses for Courses' and that's not to detract anything at all from shooting in Jpeg, it's just personal preference.

I must say that you do have some stunning images on your imageevent web site.

I am interested in your FZ30 -v- D50 statement though ....... do you notice a 'real-world' difference i.e. is the FZ30 deficient in some way to the DSLR RAW or are we only talking file size?

TIA, Keep clicking that shutter, Dave B.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:32 PM   #4

I really do notice much difference between the cameras....I had planned for my wife to use the FZ20 and I use the FZ30 and the D50.....but she took a liking to the FZ30 so it became her camera.

And she preferred to use the 3EZ feature of the camera so that did not make for the best comparisons but I think the FZ30 held its own in most situations.

I set the camera to 5mp and/or 8 mp but she made me put it back to the 3 EZ.(She does not touch anything but the on/off switch ...the shutter button and the zoom ring.)

We took a lot of photos at 600mm and in good light there was very little difference but the difficult lighting shots go to the D50 and some photos were difficult for the FZ30 because of the delay in the EVF....but all in all for a $500.00 package, its hard to beat.

The raw on the FZ30 is just fine but the noise is there and it slows down the camera too much for my liking. I think the FZ30 does a great job of metering so I do not find a big need to try and recover highlites or shadows but other people may.

I really do not use RAW a lot with the D50 but I may now ...I have taken a real shine to this Nikon Capture NX.....and it also works great on JPEGs even from the FZ30 but so far it does not work with the FZ30 RAw.

This RAW opinion of mine is just that ...my opinion.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:11 PM   #5

genece wrot
Quote:
This RAW opinion of mine is just that ...my opinion.
Absolutely, and the same goes for me.

TVM for the input, others' opinions are a great help to me in finding my way around the FZ30.

Dave B.