Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:42 PM   #1

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz1/
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:13 PM   #2

And yet another disappointment from Panasonic. What use is a camera like that if it has bad image quality?!?
Not to say that was unexpected, I mean. :evil:
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:06 PM   #3

Whats really disappointing is that they have every other box "ticked" with the TZ1 but seem to think that smearing detail to reduce noise is the way forward instead of improving their sensors. They have the top designs, top quality glass, IS and innovate but when it comes to noise why is Panasonic not listening and improving the quality of the sensors :shock: :? ?!

When you look at the ISO400 comparison between the TZ1 and FZ7 I would go with the noise and detail in the FZ7 any day of the week - the TZ1 just seemed to watercolour the shot simply to reduce noise.

Cheers

HarjTT

;:O

Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:50 PM   #4

You are absolutely right, HarjTT. They have everything going for them minus the noise disaster issue. Too bad, man, otherwise they'd be unbeatable.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:54 AM   #5

I think it's easy to overstate the problem with the Venus III noise processing.

The DP Review is fair but of all the pictures I've taken with the TZ1 , I have issues with fewer than ,say, 5% of my shots.

Of that 5% , all would make excellent small prints.
The problem is , I don't know which shots are going to come out "painted".
I still haven't worked out the Logic behind the software although many problems are related to Scenery Mode settings!! Don't use the Scenery Modes without good reason!

The TZ1 remains an excellent travel camera with good low light performance for Real World usage. Far better than my FZ10 ,FZ20 and FX7.

Sadly , I'll tell you what TZ1 has done for me...
It's convinced me that the FZ50 is unlikely to compete with similar 10mps cameras and much as I'd love an L1 , $1999 is too much.

Unless the L1 price falls the new Sony DSLR looks like my next buy .
One camera with Venus III processing is quite enough:roll:
nippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:27 AM   #6

Hi Nippa

Thanks for the real world perspective on the TZ1. I'm beginning to think there are two seperate versions of the Venus III engine, one for the FZ, TZ's etc and another for the L1. If you look at the sample shots from the L1 none of them have the watercoloured effect and retain excellent detail unlike the images posted for the new LX2, FZ50 and TZ1 which all consistently do.

I'm still waiting to see what the UK pice for the L1 will be, I'm hoping it will be around 1200GBP for the kit price any higher than that I will be looking elsewhere which is a real shame as I think Panasonic have so many things right and the look of the pics (colour + sharpness) from that "leica" we're all used to is goign to be hard to beat. The Sony is a fine camera but that kit lens is definetly not. I may get the Oly E330 for its size, weight and Livepreview but I don;t like the GUI on the camera and the button layout seriously need to be looked at again (Panasonci have nailed it on the L1). Lens wise I'd go with the 14-54 f2.8-3.5 Pro lens but I'm sure i'll be missing IS. Oh well, so many choices and there will be even more in a few weeks - new Canon's, Nikon's and hopefully an E3 + E550.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O