Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:40 AM   #1

This is my first attempt at shooting in IR. I used the suggested workflow I read in Fred's earlier thread, and ran a light NR after processing. What a cool alternative for photographing. Some shots, that would be typically blase, seem to come alive it seems......cheers........Don.
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:42 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:43 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:44 AM   #4

4 This one I just did a levels adjustment, and NR.
Attached Images

Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:51 AM   #5

Awesome shots and effects, Don! Can you give us a little more detail about using IR filter (I assume that's what you used, correct?). I've read about them but all I could gather was that they were for night shots only, which I don't believe is accurate. Thanks!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:01 AM   #6

Thanks Tullio. Well first, from what I understand, you have to get an FZ1 or FZ2 to really make this work, so I bought an FZ1 and did the upgrade to v2. Something about a filter that blocks IR light from getting into the camera is not present in the FZ1 or 2. Then you buy a Hoya R72 infrared filter, make sure you set custom white balance, and use a tripod to help camera shake (the filter is about 4 steps darker than without using it). Then use the workflow that was mentioned in Fred's previous IR post a few days ago for processing. Your results will vary according to how you process. That's about it. Just make sure you set the white balance with the filter on before shooting, otherwise your photos will be red.....cheers.....Don.

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Awesome shots and effects, Don! Can you give us a little more detail about using IR filter (I assume that's what you used, correct?). I've read about them but all I could gather was that they were for night shots only, which I don't believe is accurate. Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:05 AM   #7

Thanks foryour quick response, Don. I've got the FZ20. Will that work? Also, what is the title of Fred's posting? I can not seem to find it! Thanks again.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:55 AM   #8

Congratulations, Don! Wonderful stuff. I like #3 and #4 with the path and bridge. There is alot of inherent drama to ir photography and pathways and streams accentuate that. Looking forward to more shots.

Tullio - See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:38 AM   #9

Thanks Fred. Yes, you're right about adding drama to photos. It seems like you can take an overly boring photo, and it becomes interesting. I've taken shots of photo #4 before, and usually ended up deleting them. Nothing interesting - but put on the IR filter, and you've got a whole new vision. Thanks for all the info you and others have posted on this unusual style of photography Fred. I'm happy you enticed me into it. I'll probably have the FZ1 with me now as an extra on my outings just for this type of shooting. Mind you, it's a great walk around camera too........cheers.......Don.

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Congratulations, Don! Wonderful stuff. I like #3 and #4 with the path and bridge. There is alot of inherent drama to ir photography and pathways and streams accentuate that. Looking forward to more shots.

Tullio - See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Fred
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:38 PM   #10

Thanks very much, Fred.