Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 6, 2006, 8:25 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
tchuanye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,279
Default

Not much time to shoot this weekend, so just shoot something more common.

A lesser grass blue, and a Weaver ant, and a green crab spider.

FZ10+Raynox 250, ISO50, F8, 1/60s, 2 flashes-diffused.

#1:Weaver ant guarding white nest


#2:Side profile


#3: LGB


#4: Green crab Spider
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:47 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
seemolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,255
Default

Now you are a "master" of the dcr250 too, Tan!

I admire the pictures of the small ants.

But my favorite is the very common butterfly (we have a similar one here).
The light is touching the wings in perfect way!

congratulation!

Sven



seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:54 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Narmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,813
Default

Nice ant and BF (also this one with DCR 250?). Pity that the BF wing is not perfectly sharp (wind or not perfect alignement?).

IN the CS maybe a bounced or more distant main flash would have been better: I don't like the light lines on the edge (bottom right) and amid the leaf and on the right legs (and its hair) of the spider.
Harsh light (either by direct sunlight or by too strong flash spots) is one of the problems with some macros, especially when bugs' bodies are so reflective like that glass-like spider.

Sometimes I get a good effect (even in not overexposed pics) by copying the image on itself and applying the "multiply" blending effect (at about 20-50% percentage) but maybe this will sound turkish to you not beinga Photoshop user.

Finally a curiosity: in the original (4Mp) pics of ants with DCR250 at full zoom, is it possible to detect the pointilized (cells) pattern in the ants' eyes ?

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:25 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
tchuanye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,279
Default

seemolf wrote:
Quote:
Now you are a "master" of the dcr250 too, Tan!

I admire the pictures of the small ants.

But my favorite is the very common butterfly (we have a similar one here).
The light is touching the wings in perfect way!

congratulation!

Sven


Thanks Sven.

Glad you liked them!








tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:34 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
tchuanye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,279
Default

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
Nice ant and BF (also this one with DCR 250?). Pity that the BF wing is not perfectly sharp (wind or not perfect alignement?).

IN the CS maybe a bounced or more distant main flash would have been better: I don't like the light lines on the edge (bottom right) and amid the leaf and on the right legs (and its hair) of the spider.
Harsh light (either by direct sunlight or by too strong flash spots) is one of the problems with some macros, especially when bugs' bodies are so reflective like that glass-like spider.

Sometimes I get a good effect (even in not overexposed pics) by copying the image on itself and applying the "multiply" blending effect (at about 20-50% percentage) but maybe this will sound turkish to you not beinga Photoshop user.

Finally a curiosity: in the original (4Mp) pics of ants with DCR250 at full zoom, is it possible to detect the pointilized (cells) pattern in the ants' eyes ?

Narmer
Thanks for the critique! Appreciate that v much!

The BF I think is more of the alignment issue.

For CS, agree with you. It was taken late evening, and main source of light is the flash. I know the 'multiply' techinique you mention and use it quite often, but not this pic. The white lines are indeed a distraction.

For the ants, what you see is what you will get at full zoom, can't get any bigger than that. The #2 is almost full frame, except the top and bottom are crop off.

CY







tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 7:01 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Narmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,813
Default

Tan, I was just wondering about the resolution or definition of the eye at 100% (cropping the head only, withoutresizing the pic)
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 8:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
tchuanye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,279
Default

Sure....

tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
PeHa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 204
Default

Your images always holda high standard, tchuanye!! I assume you're using a tripod, the Raynox DCR250 must be too powerful for handheld usage, or...?
PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 9:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
tchuanye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,279
Default

PeHa wrote:
Quote:
Your images always holda high standard, tchuanye!! I assume you're using a tripod, the Raynox DCR250 must be too powerful for handheld usage, or...?
Thanks PeHa....I shoot handheld....without tripod, its too cumbersome to set up unless the subject is stationary long enough for me to shoot.....which is most unlikely. Tripod use for me is only for night shots for night scenes.



tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:04 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
tiger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,696
Default

Very nice captures CY ! Especially the first 3 . Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.