Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 6, 2006, 6:26 PM   #1

I was at the beach this weekend and this "cutie pie" was playing in the waves right in front of me. Donna
Attached Images

D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:51 PM   #2

Nice shot Donna. Color looks perfect>

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:55 PM   #3

Thanks Don, I am new to this and appreciate encouragement, and can use constructive comments. Donna
Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:19 AM   #4

I've never critiqued a photo in my life D.Annbut I believe this will be constructive.

When I first viewed itmy impression was her head split the frame in half and she should have been moved a bit to the right as she was looking left. Then I noticedmy scroll button needed to beshoved to the right, which in turn gave too much space on the young ladies right side as she was looking left. In other words the young lady looking left needed more ''looking space'' to the left, not the right. To see what I'm talking about, visualize the girl looking to her right in your picture. Now the framewill be balanced quite well.

Of course this says nothing when you see a picture in the making with all the vibrant colors you have there and you have to worry about composition. That said, if you have time, work on the composition.:idea: I sure hope I haven't been too harsh because that isn't my intent.

Of course ''Tthe rule book'' says this but I'm sure enough people here will say the bungee board takes up some of the space to the right and it doesn't matter as it's obvious the girl will have been looking left and right to get a good wave. :-)
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 2:21 AM   #5

Hi Donna,

Beautiful picture.

I'm just curious as I live in Florida. The waves look similar to ours. If it is on the east coast, I'm guessing the sun is setting in the picture. I could be wrong and it on the west coast and it's early morning. Haha:lol:

The colors are beautiful. Great time of day to get pictures. I keep hearing that morning and evening or at least early and late in the day are best for photos cause the lighting is less harsh on the subjects. I'm new to all this too. I'm trying to find out all the secrets to taking those "fab fotos." I've found this to be a great forum with lots of helpful people.

Keep up the good work and I hope to see more.

Teree
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:44 AM   #6

Thanks Andrew, I can see what you mean about filling up the frame effectively...I wonder if I could crop it in that direction...appreciate your thoughts. Donna
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:51 AM   #7

Hi Teree, I live on the east coast, on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Assateague Island, where I took that pic, is a barrier island off Chincoteague Island, and famous for its wild ponies and native wildlife. It is a great place to vacation and has lots of photo ops. I also took some pics of the wild ponies that day, but they all kept their head down in the wild marsh grasses...Thank you for taking the time to comment on my photo. I really appreciate the welcome I have gotten here. Donna
Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:01 PM   #8

NIce Photo. I like it. My suggestion do more of them.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:26 PM   #9

Nice, interesting picture Donna! Regarding Andrews comment, from the angle you shot the picture it's difficult to say whether she's looking left or out toward the waves. The left side of her face is partly visible so we know it is turned slightly to the left. It would have looked fine if you had cropped her with a little more room to the left of her, or it would have looked fine with a vertical crop showing a little more of the waves on top. And it looks fine the way it is! I would have probably taken multible shots of her, maybe some from different angles and then selected the best shot. IMHO Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:38 PM   #10

Thanks everybody. I am always looking to be better with my cameras...so I welcome your comments. Donna