Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:52 PM   #1

Hey hey.

I dropped my FZ30 yesterday. The camera still powers up. The viewfinder and LCD are still operational. It's as if the lens has come disjointed from the camera - actually it looks more like the lens cap is always on the lens (showing only black).

There is no physical damage to the body / lens. It looks perfectly fine, so I know it's an internal problem.

The mechanics of the rings in the lens are still operational, as the viewfinder does display that the zoom 1x....2x.....4x....etc. is working. There is no sound from the lens, though, when it's trying to auto-focus (know what I mean? The little sounds that the lens makes when it's autofocusing).

I'mwondering if possibly a system reset (not just through the menu system) - a HARD BOOT - can be done. Does anyone know the procedure for this?

I'm thinking that just taking the battery out won't help, either.

Sigh. Not being able to take photos for the next few days really makes me grumpy. I will take it into a Panasonic rep. if I can't do something for it myself.

Thanks so much!
transairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:49 PM   #2

Don't mess about...Get it off to the professionals. It is too good a piece of equipment not to be 100% certain

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:51 PM   #3

I have read the same thing over and over again about the 30. It seems the slightest bounce will make it inoperational ??
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:43 PM   #4

"Over and over again..." Could you be a little more specific on WHERE have you read it? It sounds like an attempt to discredit the FZ30.

Transairn, good luck with your camera...

videosilva wrote:
Quote:
I have read the same thing over and over again about the 30. It seems the slightest bounce will make it inoperational ??
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:20 PM   #5

Dropping a camer and a slight bounce are certainly not the same thing by any means. The reality is that this lense (and camera) has many moving parts that can be effected by a jarring incident. Any of the 12 or 13 elements that make up the lense could be out of wack or shattered causing the camera to be inoperable. If you move the camera around can you hear any noise from inside? If so something is broken. Otherwise it may well be a displaced lens element and is a repair candidate. I seriously doubt that there is anything that can be done without dissasembeling the camera so it needs to go into the shop.
I hope the problem is repairable and you get your camera up and running soon. Best of luck to you.
KennJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:41 PM   #6

I would also question videosylvia.....All my FZs the FZ30 included have bounced all over a bass boat been crashed on a MC when hill climing and hauled many miles bouncing around in a glove box and they all are still working perfectly.

Now dropping is another thing.....I do not know if that falls under normal wear and tear.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 1:54 PM   #7

I know. I've done plenty of bashing and banging (a lot of my photography warrants getting into 'interesting' places), but never dropping. It was less than 2 feet, but then again it doesn't take a lot of force to wreak havoc on electronics now-a-days. It's in repair right now; I'm missing it terribly.
transairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:45 PM   #8

Give it a little bounce if YOU DARE ! Then you will not need to question me.

José A. wrote:
Quote:
"Over and over again..." Could you be a little more specific on WHERE have you read it? It sounds like an attempt to discredit the FZ30.

Transairn, good luck with your camera...

videosilva wrote:
Quote:
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:46 PM   #9

Come on be realistic............ A thousand dollar piece of hardware should be able to take the ocasionall bangs ( SOFT ) here and there.