Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:10 PM   #1

Hummingbirds on a limb

My Goal, Hummingbird on a limb.

I used my RDS on these. They just don't stay in one place long enough to get a photo with out my RDS.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:16 PM   #2

Very, very nice. How did you do that...I felt lucky to get the one I did at the feeder. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:19 PM   #3

That's a nice series of hummingbird shots! We get the ruby throats here, but non of those brown/yellowish ones. Mine also tend to hang out in the crepemyrtles which are in full leaf & bloom, so they hide in the foliage pretty good.

Good show!
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:55 PM   #4

I spent a lot of time watching with my binoculars to see which tree they went to the most often. I found a tall bush close to the tree and crawled into the bottom of the bush and waited. You are looking at many hours sitting in a bush with my FZ30 and RDS turned on waiting.

D. Ann Thanks for looking and commenting

TOTALLY WACKY roger

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
Very, very nice. How did you do that...I felt lucky to get the one I did at the feeder. Donna
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:01 PM   #5

RedStickMan thanks for looking and commenting

Same problem here 95% or more of the time they head for the foliage not to a open limb. Most of the time they spend a lot more time in one place when they are in the foliage. The just don't stay on the open limbs very long. Without my RDS I probably would not of gotten any keepers.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

RedStickMan wrote:
Quote:
That's a nice series of hummingbird shots! We get the ruby throats here, but non of those brown/yellowish ones. Mine also tend to hang out in the crepemyrtles which are in full leaf & bloom, so they hide in the foliage pretty good.

Good show!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:42 PM   #6

Super set of spectacualar shots! Great job getting those pictures.

I honestly have only seen a hummingbird one time in Florida and I've lived here my whole life (40 something years). This last year one came to feed on a Powderpuff flower several days in a row. We were all so completely amazed we stood in our yard staring at the wonder of it's presents.

You have several species in your state? WOW. I love hummingbirds and hope to see our one time visitorreturn someday.

Thanks so much for taking these pictures and sharing them with us.:-)

What is the difference between the RDS and the T-con ....??? thing? Are theyboth some kind of telephoto lense? Do youhave a preference?

Teree
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:51 PM   #7

Hi Teree, Thanks for looking and commenting.

I am not real good at words but I will try to answer your question.

RDS is a red dot sight that allows you get the animal in the fram of the camera much faster.

The Nikon TCE17 is a teleconverter that you attach to the end of your lens and it multiples your zoom factor.

I have to go to a business meeting and as soon as it is over I will look up a couple of photos I have of my set up and that should make it easier to understand.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

gotta.learn wrote:
Quote:

I honestly have only seen a hummingbird one time in Florida. This last year one came to feed on a Powderpuff flower several days in a row. We were all so completely amazed we stood in our yard staring that this wonder.

You have several species in your state? WOW. I love hummingbirds and hope to see our one time visitorreturn someday.

What is the difference between the RDS and the T-con ....??? thing? Are theyboth some kind of telephoto lense? Do youhave a preference?

Teree
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:44 PM   #8

You have to be pretty quick on the trigger to catch one sitting still. However, I have noticed that they are terretorial and watch from a certain perch and will return to it most of the time. However, with the trees we have it is hard to get a good photo.

Good work Roger, Keep on posting these beautiful captures.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:30 PM   #9

Hi Jerry, thanks for commenting and looking. The hummers here are the same about being terretorial and using the same area to watch from.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
You have to be pretty quick on the trigger to catch one sitting still. However, I have noticed that they are terretorial and watch from a certain perch and will return to it most of the time. However, with the trees we have it is hard to get a good photo.

Good work Roger, Keep on posting these beautiful captures.

Jerry
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:35 PM   #10

Teree here are the photos I told you I would post.

I hope this helps you.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

thehotel wrote:
Quote:
Hi Teree, Thanks for looking and commenting.

I am not real good at words but I will try to answer your question.

RDS is a red dot sight that allows you get the animal in the fram of the camera much faster.

The Nikon TCE17 is a teleconverter that you attach to the end of your lens and it multiples your zoom factor.

I have to go to a business meeting and as soon as it is over I will look up a couple of photos I have of my set up and that should make it easier to understand.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

gotta.learn wrote:
Quote:

I honestly have only seen a hummingbird one time in Florida. This last year one came to feed on a Powderpuff flower several days in a row. We were all so completely amazed we stood in our yard staring that this wonder.

Teree