Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:26 PM   #1

$650 from amazon.com

saw this info first at dpreview, thought you'd like to know.

Trevor
cdsgraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:02 PM   #2

Other than the ISO settings I do not see anything meaningfull in this model when compaired to the 30. I guess if the ISO is truly improved rather than just more unusable settings it will be a better unit. Short of that (and I see they used ISO100 for all the example shots)looks like movement for the sake of having a new model out.
I hope to see some ISO 400 and up shots to find out what the deal is. I also see the sensor size is only 1/1.8 so it is doubtfull that any huge improvement is going to be there.
Opinions and comments anyone ?
KennJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:37 PM   #3

FZ50 , New pics, up to highest ISo (from a DP review post)

http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/p...mc-fz50,1_2641
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 1:49 AM   #4

From ISO 400 to 3200....they make my eyes want to bleed.

Its simple...either Panasonic make larger sensors or stop making them all together. Panasonic makes terrible sensors. They almost have a perfect camera...seriously! Just needs lower noise instead of more noise reduction.

The Venus Engine III was designed to reduce noise of the overall image. I don't understand why Panasonic chose this alternative instead of developing a better sensor. The Venus Engine III just washes the picture of its precious detail.

Edit: After taking a look at the ISO200 images, you can see that detail is continuously being lost. It appears that the Venus Engine III applies a noise reduction in all of its images in order to get a 'clean' look but in turn, washes out the detail.
Renegade_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:30 PM   #5

I fully agree that the solution is a larger sensor to some great degree as craming another 2.5mp onto the same size sensor just does not cut it. The pictures at the link Narmer supplied(thanks for posting the link ) are interesting but without seeing the actual light diference and how the camera reacts to it it's really hard to see any improvement with the example given. Not that I would turn down a trade off with my FZ30 strait up :0)
KennJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 2:20 AM   #6

I donno...the improvements simply do not justify an upgrade from an FZ30 or even an FZ20 user. I have a feeling Panasonic is doing this to get more people to buy their cameras...basically gather a brand recognition, then when everyone's using it, then they'll get people to upgrade.

Looks like its one more year of waiting for those yearning to upgrade.
Renegade_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 2:32 PM   #7

I completely agree with renegade. I do not like the Venus III's approach to noise at all. Even at ISO 200, you start to see a distinct watercolor effect. Even at ISO 100 if you look close. By 800, it looks like a painting viewed at 100%.

That being said, when viewed at normal sizes, it's not that bad. And I'm sure even when printed at 5x7 or below, its ok too. It's certainlynowhere nearthe Fuji sensor and NR on the F30, but you could probably get away with a 5x7 print at iso 800 with the FZ50, and the "average" person would probably think it looks good. I personally would demand a lot more, and until Panny gets real with their sensors, I won't buy another camera from them. Love my FZ30, but I'd consider the Fuji S6000fd. Same sensor/image engine as the F30 with a 28-300 mm lens. Could be a real thorn in Panny's side for those of us still not ready to move up to SLR.
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:07 AM   #8

Hi Narmer

Thanks for link re FZ50

As an FZ30 owner I would be interested to see the same pics taken on a FZ30 to compare them to the FZ50. I tried looking at the site your link came from but as I do not understand any language except English, I could not get very far.

However I did find a site:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19641001

Which does provide such information. A very quick cut and paste then a VERY rough edit with Paint and you get the attached, which is unretouched in every way except combining the 2 images. I hope you and everyone else who maybe considering an upgrade from 30 to 50 finds it useful

Hi Renegade R,

I tend to agree with you! Especially the ISO 3200 one, which looks overexposed to me? On that basis until I can compare the same image at same exposure from FZ30 and FZ50 my FZ30 is staying!

Regards

Tony
Attached Images

kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:30 PM   #9

If you take a look at the L1 sample shots at Pansonics Lumix site and look at the model shot - there's a big difference between what Venus III is doing in the L1 and the FZ50. In the L1 the detail is retained but the FZ50 its just being water colured away. Now this could be down to the sensor size between the two cam's being the major factor but I've a feeling that their could be 2 versions of Venus III.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote