Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 11, 2006, 4:51 PM   #1

FZ-20
Attached Images

dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2006, 4:54 PM   #2

Redneck #2
Attached Images

Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:01 PM   #3

Wow! What a beautiful hummer picture. Well Done. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:32 AM   #4

Really nice captures of a hovering hummer!
It looks like you probably cropped those a bit much which I think causes so much noise to be visible. I hope you don't mind, but I just couldn't resist doing some quick cleanup to help bring the little fella out a bit. The second one is such a good picture. Removing the noise and a little level adjustment really makes it pop!

Even as posted, it's one of the best hummer shots I've seen in this forum.

Attached Images

RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 3:08 AM   #5

You are right. This is a heavily cropped pic with only some sharpening done to it. I am not skilled in PP but your adjustments sure make the pic a little easier on the eye.Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 5:42 AM   #6

RedStickMan has already done what I wanted to do. Very nice capture of hovering hummer, which we don't get to see here.Learning noise reduction software is a must and comes in very handy when you have to crop heavily. Neat Image is very good and free too - try that.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:29 AM   #7

Both are as good or better hummers that I've seen anywhere. How did you setup to capture such great photos? WELL DONE dwssa.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:00 PM   #8

These are great dwssas! Beautiful!

Teree
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:08 AM   #9

Don What I do is set up about 6 or 7 feet from the feeder. I wait for a bright day where I can get an ISO speed of 1000 or use the Sunpak 383 on burst mode. The high iso is preferable as you can use the unlimited burst mode on the cam compared to just three shots with flash. The male hummer will guard the feeder and fly near any other ones that try to feed from his feeder. Oten he will hover briefly after warding off others. What I do is to pre-focus the cam on the feeder and then move it to an area where I think he will hover. This method is a little hard on the shutter finger but if you watch the birds routine long enough you can make an educated guess where this hover will occur. Also you may get lucky and catch him while he feeds but this usually happens when you are not prepared to take a pic and by the time you get ready-he is long gone! One saving grace I have is that I am retired and have the time to out wait these birds. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:19 AM   #10

One other thing I forgot to mention is to use all of the zoom you can while setting up on your pre-focus. With my cam this is about 5X or 6X. Anything more and the cam will not focus properly. This step is necessary because once you get an acceptable capture a heavy crop will be needed to get the close up pic and you will need all the resolution you can get for an acceptable photo.