Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 12, 2006, 6:34 PM   #1

I just received my FZ20 couple days ago..and I've been messing around with it a lot..but I found out I cannot take in-door low light pictures at all..most pictures come out blurry if I don't use flash. If I use flash, I get OK result..that means the picture still doesn't look that great. If i try to raise ISO..I get really bad noise..and it still comes out blurry sometimes..(this is all handheld btw) - I've also tried lots of manual settings + auto still having bad luck with it..any tips? thanks
a1strank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:03 PM   #2

Hi, I have the FZ7 so I don't know if my experience counts, but I have no trouble with mine indoors...do you have a trouble shooting tip guide in your manual...Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:17 PM   #3

Well the FZ20 does not do well in low light with out a flash especially of kids or any other moving subjects.

You just can not get a fast enough shutterspeed.

But fortunately if you purchase a flash similar to the Sunpak 383 you will be able to take very nice photos indoors. It does take a little practice but the results are worth the effort and the 80 bucks for the flash.

The built in flash of the FZ20 is only good for about a 20ft range, so back off the zoom and move closer to the subject.

Also if you are using a filter remove it for a while, in case it is not the correct type of filter.

But the best plan is to get the Sunpak 383 or a flash with about the same power.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:49 PM   #4

I will second that. I found my sunpak 383 on e-bay for less that $50 (got Lucky)

It made a world of difference. I can shoot indoors and have a nice product.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 3:29 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies..I see how it works now..I'll grab an external flash in the future

I have a second question and I dont feel like starting a new thread for it. I am planning on puchasing the RAYNOX DCR-250 for the super macro, do I need additnoal adapter for the FZ20? Or I can use it out of the box?
a1strank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 8:17 AM   #6

Yes you will need something as the mount that comes with the 250 only goes up to 67mm....and you would be much better off to get an aftermarket adapter than a stepring as the Panasonic adapter is too long to be practical.

The Raynox adaper will work

http://www.digitaletc.com/go/item/9855

http://www.digitaletc.com/go/item/5235
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:04 PM   #7

if we could digress back to the low light discussion for just a moment...it's really funny that i should have a differing opinion, since everything i've learned about digital photography since receiving my fz20 xmas '04, i've learned from posters e.g. genece.

having several nieces and nephews playing high school sports, e.g. volleyball, basketball, played indoors, taking pictures of moving objects (translated nieces and nephews) in low light conditions has been a major interest to me. so as a result, i've become somewhat comfortable with going into a poorly lit gymnasium, and having a pretty good idea what to do to get my pics to turn out somewhat respectably. and conversely, understanding why i couldn't get pictures to turn out.

with indoor basketball pictures, i found that if i set the camera for shutter priority, with an iso of 200, at a speed of around 1/60th of a seconds, i can get pretty good results. yes, occasionally, i get a blurred foot or hand, but for the most part, they look pretty good.

the first thing you'll wanna do is download picasa2. i do a lot of post processing, e.g. lightening, cropping. but picasa2 doesn't help too much for the inevitable noise introduced at iso 200 and 400. at first, i downloaded a couple of the programs here suggested to combat noise, but i've since purchased paint shop pro, and it has done a tremendous job smoothing noise without eliminating features.

and lastly, and i had no idea this quicky reply was going to end up so long winded (apologies), but i like the look of pics in natural light versus using flash. yes, in most cases, the ability to diffuse the light helps a lot. and the sunpak 383 was on last year's xmas list, though i didn't get one. but i rather like the fact i've gone through the learning process like i have, versus buying an external flash, and not gone through the process.

btw, thanks very much to all the posters that have guided me to this point. tremendous forum here.
tafugate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:37 PM   #8

Thats a very valid point if you can get a shutterspeed fast enough the FZ20 does very good...That is where the problem lays most of the time is getting a fast enough shutter speed .... and I would think 1/60th may be the absolute minimum speed you need for any type of movement unless you are using a flash.

And that was not a long winded reply ..its a very good reply.

It really helps to hear from those that are successful at their attempts.

It really is all about light.....maybe the first reply should have said, turn on more lights.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:56 AM   #9

a1strank wrote:
Quote:
I just received my FZ20 couple days ago..and I've been messing around with it a lot..but I found out I cannot take in-door low light pictures at all..most pictures come out blurry if I don't use flash. If I use flash, I get OK result..that means the picture still doesn't look that great. If i try to raise ISO..I get really bad noise..and it still comes out blurry sometimes..(this is all handheld btw) - I've also tried lots of manual settings + auto still having bad luck with it..any tips? thanks
My professional "fast" lenses, 85mm f/1.2, 50 f/1.2 and FD 55 f/1.2 asph. more often than not perform well hand held. But not always.

F/2.8 lenses, be they FZ20 or "pro", only do well in well-lit indoor venues. It is the lack of understanding of the behavior of light that leads so many to bemoan the lack of "low light" capability in P&S digitals. In truth, my f/2.8 "pro" lenses suck in those exact same venues where P&S digitals fail (where there is not enough light for f/2.8 lenses)
AlAsaad is offline   Reply With Quote