Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:09 PM   #1

Hello everyone, i am new on these forums, and new to any photography better than that of a digital camera. I am starting off with a FZ7. I was hoping to get some advice on some good beginner literature and also maybe what accessories i should get for my FZ7. Currently i just have the camera and a 133x 1gb SD card. Well thanks and hopefully i can post some pictures soon, i will be going back home to Hawaii for a vacation in about a month so i want to get some basic knowledge before then.
bent240LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:20 PM   #2

Hi, and welcome. I am fairly new too and also have a FZ7. I really like mine and have used it quite a bit. The folks here are friendly and informed and pretty good about helping. Look forward to your pictures. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:37 PM   #3

Welcome. The first accessories you should get are a lens cleaning kit, and 52mm UV and circular polarizing filters. Put the snout on the camera and the UV filter on the snout, then your FZ7 lens is protected.

bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:10 AM   #4

yeah i was going to ask about a UV filter, Does it matter what filter i get? From what i have read it is only there to protect the lense correct?
Old Aug 14, 2006, 9:23 AM   #5

welcome to the forum!

you're correct, the UV filter is there primarily to protect the lens. it doesn't matter a whole lot which UV filter you buy, as long as it's good quality. the same applies to the polarizer. the lenses in the FZ cameras are excellent, and you'd be doing yourself a disservice by putting a piece of cheap glass in front of it. i have Hoya filters, and have had good luck with them.

pick up a couple of spare batteries, as well. with a 1GB card, you'll run out of juice well before you run out of memory, and you don't want to miss a great shot just because you don't have a spare battery! i haven't looked for aftermarket FZ7 batteries, since i have an FZ20, but i know batteries can be had quite inexpensively on eBay, and the ones i've gotten there for the most part work very well.

you might also find a good monopod to be handy for low-light shooting. the FZ7 has no remote jack for a shutter release, so if you use a tripod, you have to use the self-timer, but monopods can come in very handy.

good luck, and let us see some shots of your trip to Hawaii... :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:12 PM   #6

i will look into the battery situation, i found these lenses on newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830997403

I know they are the wrong size but would they be decent to get?

Can anyone point out some good reading materialfor beginnersthat they might know off the top the their head? thanks

Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:29 PM   #7

The UV filter may be able to improve color and contrast of outdoor photos, if the camera lens doesn't already have such a filter built into its coatings.

bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote