Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:13 PM   #1

Just bought the TZ1 for a family vacation starting later this week. I wanted a compact camera with good movie and zoom ability. My other choices were the Cannon A700, Sanyo C6, Kodak v610 and Casio's S600 or Z850.

Still getting use to the camera and the settings. I love the fast start up and the smooth stabilized 10x lens. Not crazy about a lens cap on a digital or the movie's sound quality. What I have not seen mentioned in other reviews is how comfortable the camera is in your hand. Since I have stopped using a SLR a half dozen years ago, I forgot how comfortable they are to use compared to these compact digitals. The TZ1 has all the comfort without the size or weight.

My two questions are quite specific. I can not get the movies to play during the slide shows (my movies play on Kodak and Olympus slide shows) Also, I can not find a panorama feature.

I have also heard that the landscape function is not that great. What would you guys suggest for the Scandinavian country side?

S-
Shawn
sweingast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:09 PM   #2

Shawn,

Welcome and congratulations on getting the Tizzy. If you are looking for an "auto stitch" feature like the Oly has then I don't think you will find it. There are a number of programs out there that do this. I think most people just do a google search and take it from there. You can also search this forum for stitching and you may find some info. As I understand it the key is using a tripod and just overlapping the shots to make it easier to line them up. As for the landscape I would suggest you fine a nice spot and just take a notebook and write down each setting you try. Then you can review them on your computer and decide for yourself what you like best.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:25 AM   #3

Shawn,

The software that came with your TZ1 should have included a program called "Panorama Maker 3" by Arcsoft. It seems to do a nice job stitching together a series of images. Using a tripod is ideal, but I have done many handheld with acceptable results. The main thing to remember when doing a panorama is to be sure that your images overlap by at least 1/3 of the image. Also, for panoramas, you might find it wise to set your white balance for the conditions (i.e, sunny, cloudy, etc) rather than using the auto white balance as it will help to insure a more consistent exposure from image to image.

If you haven't already done so, you might wish to check out the Panasonic forum on DP Review as there seem to be a lot more TZ1 users posting over there. Here is the link: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033
Timewarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:53 PM   #4

ting use to the camera. Indoors I have been using the automat video software are you guys using? The videos look good on the TV but he three software programs on t

Thank you for your advice.

I am still getting use to the camera. Indoors I have been using the automatic settings. The pictures are showing redeye and graininess. The camera is setting its ISO at 400.

Also, what video software are you guys using? The videos look good on the TV but he three software programs on the CD don't seem to play clearly and are unable to edit the movies.
you for
three software programs on the CD don't seem to play clearly and are unable to edit the movies.

sweingast is offline   Reply With Quote