Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:16 AM   #11

Number three is telling me you used a motordrive* for the timely capture of the after-drop splash to the right of the leaf. Of course it's always possible your reflexes are extraordinary. Leaf number four satisfys the entire frame.
*Ahem, I mean burst mode I think.

Normally I'm against dead-center subjectplacement but somehow this works for number one. (I'm just an interested observer by the way.) I haven't figured it out yet but I'm thinking it has something to do with the ''placement'' of the leaf over the lines in the sidewalk.

May be that the leaf could have been placed a littlehigher right, i.e., camera movement,and thelines lower left; thenthe lines would then ''lead'' your eye to the leaf.Visual theV lineto the left and lower of the leaf.

Oh what the heck, it still works. :-)

I've read from many years ago subject placement isnear ''A''in thesection of the frame which is obviously the center of interest, with others following in the order set out below. This would look like this:

C A

DB

l (1)l (2)l (3)l

The line will represent the frame, top, bottom, and sides with spacing in thirds within the entire frame both horizontally and vertically.

Quoted from my pamphlet from30 years ago: The exact location of interest, of course, is not accurately measured, but is partly casual and is determined rather by the feeling, taste, or intuition of the photographer. (A, B, C and D are the usual order of preference, if the picture offers a choice.) Better Pictures Through Good Composition—Ray E. Koken ©1976

As notedfrom the pamphlet, this order can beadjusted by the photographer because who wants to walk a mile or two just to satisfy this order. Very happy it can be manuevered somewhat. In other words just grab a handful of A and B and place them to theleft of C and Dthenshove C and D to the right. Then you're set for a new arrangement.

Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 1:37 PM   #12

those are neat shots!!! I liked #2 and #3 the best..and it is amazing how such a simple subject matter can be so interesting when you have the right environment around it!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:38 PM   #13

Wow! So many responses. I totally agree about the centreing shot thing. I was dissappointed at my framing of these and guess I was so pre-occupied with the rain drops etc that framing went out of my mind.
I did not use burst mode ...just got lucky. I took a lot of photos and in most I missed the rain drop! I was getting VERY annoyed as my reflexes were too slow!
It is impossible to anticipate where or when they will fall especially as your eye is in the view finder.

Next time I will try and be more patient with framing....

I like photos on simple everyday things which we tend to miss and so am drawn to details such as a leaf in a puddle.

Cheers!

jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:40 PM   #14

oh...and yes you were right about no 1...I was looking at the triangle on left even more than the leaf when I took that one...I just liked the contrast and the pattern of that one of that and the pavement on right...
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:41 AM   #15

jussiuk wrote:
Quote:
Next time I will try and be more patient with framing....

Other than my nitpicking of picture number one (1)there was nothing wrong with your framing/composition in the others.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote