Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:09 PM   #1

I bought the FZ30 because of the Leica lens and, the ability to shoot "RAW" files. OK, the lens is great and I can shhot RAW files but, now what. My Photoshop 7.0 can not open Panasonic's RAW files. Photoshop does not make a Lumix RAW Plug-in for Photoshop 7. The Panasonic software included with the camera will let you view a RAW file but will not let you save or print it (it converts it to a JPG),at least not that I can discover. Aside from forking over $$ for Photoshop CS2, is there any known solution to the RAW dilema!

Thanks,

OUTAFOCUS
OUTAFOCUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:23 PM   #2

OUTAFOCUS, you might want to check this out.
http://www.photo-freeware.net/raw-sh...essentials.php

OUTAFOCUS wrote:
Quote:
I bought the FZ30 because of the Leica lens and, the ability to shoot "RAW" files. OK, the lens is great and I can shhot RAW files but, now what. My Photoshop 7.0 can not open Panasonic's RAW files. Photoshop does not make a Lumix RAW Plug-in for Photoshop 7. The Panasonic software included with the camera will let you view a RAW file but will not let you save or print it (it converts it to a JPG),at least not that I can discover. Aside from forking over $$ for Photoshop CS2, is there any known solution to the RAW dilema!

Thanks,

OUTAFOCUS
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:05 PM   #3

Rawshooteressentials that theHotel suggested works pretty well, and you can't beat the price. I've been playing with Adobes Lightroom beta 3, it works great.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/

Still free while it's in beta, no idea what it will cost when they release it, but it doesn't hurt to try it while you can.
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:17 AM   #4

Thanks John! I actually downloaded the Adobe Beta yesterday and had not had time to fool around with it yet. I'll give it a look.

OUTAFOCUS
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:19 AM   #5

Thanks for the freeware tip! I will give it a try.

OUTAFOCUS
Old Aug 18, 2006, 5:20 PM   #6

IrfanView ( http://www.irfanview.com ) is a freeware program which knows and prints nearly each RAW file
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 5:50 PM   #7

Thanks DonalDuc, I'd used Irfanview in the past but never tried it with RAW before. It did open a raw file from my FZ30 and saved it as a jpg, it seemed to lose the EXIF info during the process though. Did you have the same problem with it? Picasa (beta) does the same thing, opens the raw fine but doesn't read the EXIF and so loses it when saving as a JPG.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 4:53 PM   #8

The Hotel,

I downloaded the Photo-Freeware program "Raw-shooter" yesterday and am very impressed! This program has 90% of what you need to get a RAW image ready to print. I would highly reccomend it!

OUTAFOCUS
Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:12 PM   #9

JohnK,

The IrfanView program allows you to select EXIF, or not, and to choose the format your file will be saved as ...., JPEG or TIFF.

My question is this: Having shot a RAW file, How does it compare when saved as a TIFF, as opposed to shooting a TIFF in the first place? I have run numerous tests of the 2 and can not see enough difference to go through all work of an extra RAW converter. But, I may be doing something wrong. Can you folks who have used the RAW converters a lot please chime in and explain how you process the files and whatdifferences you see, if any, in the final prints?

Thanks for all the help,

OUTAFOCUS
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:37 PM   #10

I saw where that option was, but it's not working on the version I have ( 3.98 ), or it's not working with the FZ30 raw. RawShooter Essentials did preserve the EXIF when exported to JPG though.

I haven't done much shooting in RAW at all, and none comparing RAW to TIFF. I suspect some of the difference will be determined by the camera settings. RAW bypasses the Venus engine, so the noise reduction, contrast adjustment, etc is skipped. When shooting TIFF or JPG it will be touched some by the engine. If you have everything set to low I'd expect the TIFF to look very close to the RAW, if they're high, not as close.

If the weather is decent tomorrow I'll see about getting some raw and tiff shots at the same time to try and get some comparisons.

John