Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 19, 2006, 6:43 AM   #1

Hi all

I finally purchased a DSLR yesterday. I was really hoping it would have been Pana's DMC L1 but as no one knows the UK MSRP yet (it could easily be £1500-2000) and after reading the hands on review over at Luminous Landscapes I decided to go for an Olympus E1 and wait for the L2 or Pana's entry/mid level SLR. My reason's for the E1:
1. Price its going at firesale prices £400 including lens.
2. Any accessories that I get for the Oly will work with the L1/FZ50 and any other DSLR/FZ that Pana makes.
3. Build quality - it was and still is a pro camera. The quality of the materials is just superb.
4. Size and weight - its a lot smaller than most of the other DSLR's in its class, although not as small as say the D50, 350XT or Pentax. Weight wise including the lens its about the same as a D70.
5. Very quiet shutter - I'd played with an E330 and a D200 and the E1 is nearly silent.
6. Very bright and Clear OVF although I do miss having a Livepreview on the LCD.
7. Lenses - I'm planning to get a panaleica as soons as theyre available.but whether i can wait is the issue. The 14-54 f2.8-3.5 lens is a very good bit of glass and as good as Canon's L lenses but does not have OIS. The kit 14-45 lens however is crap (even though its supposed to be good for a kit lens) and it shows when compared against the FZ10's Leica.

The E1 does have its faults and as its only a 5MP camera you'd think could it be a problem, however, my FZ10 is only a 4MP camera and its more than good enough and I have no plans to stop using the FZ10 either. My plan is to use the E1 for closeup/portraits and use the FZ for everything else. The FZpanaleica lens just walks all over the kit lens that came with the E1. We all know the FZ's lens is fast, tack sharp, and produces excellent colours and with IS makes teh FZ's superb. Not having IS is a problem that will only be fixed once Pana starts to sell their OIS based lenses.

I'll be still posting shots with the FZ10 - its only getting better with age.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:10 AM   #2

Congrats, Harjtt! Enjoy - nice to have a new toy, innit? I'm looking forward to seeing your E1 images!

I bought myself a Nikon D50 last Thursday afternoon - it's absolutely terrific. I've posted a few images over in the Nikon SLR forum here ("New D50 Owner").

I plan on keeping and using my FZ20 indefinitely - in fact I'll likely do some macro shooting with it later today.
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:59 AM   #3

HarjTT, congratulations on the new DSLR. Good luck on the homework (reading the manual). Please keep us up-to-date on the learning curve. Also don't forget to post some of the new photos.

I plan on doing the DSLR jump this fall so I will be watching your posts and hopefully I can learn with you.

...TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:27 PM   #4

Hi Doug and Roger

Firstly, Doug congrats to you too for getting the D50 and I ordered he E1 on Thursday too but it didn't arrive until yesterday. Your right the E1 and D50 may be a wee bit old in terms of the digital camera age but like theI think I'm in fI FZ's theyre still able to take some pretty special shots.

I think I'm in for a long learning curve with the E1 - it is beautifully put together, small for a pro camera and thus lite, ergonomically is just spot on and very quiet. Every button is very close to hand and from what i can tell you don't need to access the menu at all - there's a dedicated button for all the settings. What I've learned so far is - don't trust the LCD ! Until I can figure out why indoor shots appear ok on the preview but on the PC/MAC are just completely overexposed - black actually I'm a bit unsure on whether I need to say bracket my shots - now that is something I have only done twice with the FZ10. I can push the image in photoshop but it practically makes the image useless - I took a single FZ10 shot at ISO 100 f2.8 and 1/10s and it was spot on. The first thing that I now plan to do is to get a first class lens - the kit lens is going on e-bay or in the bin and thats how much better the FZ's Leica lens is compared to kit DSLR lenses. Now I'm in a predicament with upgrading to a better lens. I would really like to get the panaleica "Leica D' thats on sale with the L1 and if it was avaialble seperately I would be buying one today. Unfortunately its not and the only equivalent lens is the 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 but non of the Oly Zukio lenses have IS and knowing my luck as soon as I purchase the Zukio the Leica D will be on sale. Also there are no cheap fast prime lenses for 4/3's except via one of Oly's 4/3 adapters which fit basically any lens that fits most manual focus lenses. Once I'm more comfortable with the E1 I'll post some shots - I'm off downtown tomorrow for a couple of hours so I'll be taking the E1 and the FZ10 and may do a simple comparison.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote