Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:33 AM   #21

Yes, it has it's own battery, and the intensity knob is also the on/off switch.
By the way, calibrating it without a tripod takes quite more time than with a tripod.

jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 2:41 AM   #22

Here are the details from the seller. I just purchased it yesterday on ebay so do not know more about it:
Quote:
WHAT IS IT? Kwik Aim is a red dot camera sighting system consisting of a Kwik Aim mount and a Daisy red dot sight.It attaches to the hot shoe of your camera, or to a flash bracket if your camera doesn't have a hot shoe. NOTE: The Kwik Aim system is not a laser sight and no red dot will show up in your pictures.

WHAT DOES IT DO? The Kwik Aim system willmake itsimple for you to locate, frame, and track rapidly movingsubjectsor subjects located in poorly lit areas or areas "camouflaged" by Mother Nature. For instance, subjects such as flying birds, running animals, airplanes, etc. are almost always difficult to locate and frame in a viewfinder or LCD, especially when you're zoomed in with a telephoto lens…. and so are subjects located in a dimly lit area or an area somewhat obscured by brush, limbs, etc. Whether you are using a $200 camera or a $2000 camera, Kwik Aim is absolutely and unconditionally guaranteed to help you achieve greater success and satisfaction from your photography efforts, or your purchase price will be promptly refunded.

HOW DOES IT WORK? With the Kwik Aim mounted on your camera or flash bracket (mounting and unmounting takes less than five seconds and no tools are required) you will no longer need to use your viewfinder or LCD (both of which provide a very restricted field of view, particularly when zoomed in with a telephoto lens) to locate your subject. Instead, you will hold your camera at a comfortable distance in front of you; then, while KEEPING BOTH EYES OPEN, look through the sight, place the red dot on your subject; and start snapping! Because you have both eyes open, your field of view is virtually unrestricted and your ability to locate, frame, and track your subject is enhanced tremendously.

The accompanying pictures show various views of the Kwik Aim as well as mounting configurations. The cameras and other equipment are NOT included in the sale and are shown for purposes of illustration only. Easy-to-follow instructions for mounting, unmounting, and zeroing are included with each shipment.

annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:36 AM   #23

Yes, the Kwik Aim has its own battery.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:10 AM   #24

His email address is [email protected]
drobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:02 AM   #25

bkrownd wrote:
Quote:
I'm guessing this is powered by its own battery, not through the hotshoe mounting?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Good guess; usually w/a CR2032 battery to power a small LED

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"see http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=18999433

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"for additional RDS info/alternatives
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:07 AM   #26

You may find most of your info here

It has the available options...some FAQs and such.

http://www.kwikaim.com/Home_Page.php
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:08 PM   #27

Has anyone found the Kwik Sight improved their chances of regularly getting good shots when they had a teleconverter attached to their FZ? That would be my main reason for using one...the difficulty in keeping a target that's moving randomly (like a squirrel for instance) in frame when I use my B300.

Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:15 PM   #28

Whether one has a TC on or not, the RDS will increase your in frame subjects % by a significant amount...

Acompanying this increase %, will be an increase in liklihood that the AF metered area is covering part of the intended subject thus increasing the probability of focus.

In my experience with a RDS on both my FZ5 and FZ30, I'd venture that I've been able to have a partial/full subject within the frame averaging >80-90% of the time. I still have a large number of images deleted due to partial subjects in frame and/or OOF/blurred but this aspect is always 0% if no subject is captured in the frame...

I'de venture to say that the RDS use has had the most significant imapct on my ability to get BIF images such as my avatar below than any other technique or system...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:36 AM   #29

Tenshi wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone found the Kwik Sight improved their chances of regularly getting good shots when they had a teleconverter attached to their FZ? That would be my main reason for using one...the difficulty in keeping a target that's moving randomly (like a squirrel for instance) in frame when I use my B300.

Yes, the Kwik Aim definitely improves the chances...rather dramatically so, as a matter of fact.
drobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:06 PM   #30

Thank you both for the info, looks like this will be my next camera accessory. Sigh, I'm going to need a larger camera bag too.
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote