Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 19, 2006, 2:33 PM   #1

I have come close to dropping my FZ30 a couple of times now and was wondering just how much punishment it could take. I have tried using various strap arrangements but more often than not they just get in the way. The FZ30 seems to be built from both polycarbonate and metal components and is well screwed together - I've seen some pretty bashed up examples that are still working fine. Has anyone had any 'near misses'?
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2006, 2:49 PM   #2

All the FZs are pretty durable.....I haul mine all over the country with no padded case usually thrown up on the dash...and they all still work fine even with the scratches and dents but a drop will knock the lens out of alignment.....I use wrist straps on all my cameras but I realize not everyone likes them.....but they help me avoid dropping a camera.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 3:03 PM   #3

Banged mine very little, but I have found the actual lens if pretty durable as many time i have been shooting macro and hit the item I am taking photos of and thought I had scartched the lens forever, but a good scrub and the marks go away

Dropped it in its bag many times, but it always bounced softly as its well packed. I would hate to drop the camera thats for sure, esspecially on a hard sruface! I hate using a strap too, gets in the way and just bugs me
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 5:55 PM   #4

Bruce,

I just wrap the camera strap around my right wrist and it stays there until I want to shoot - if anybody tried taking the fz they'd have to take my arm too! I've only dropped the FZ10 once in nearly 2 years :roll: but luckily it was fine when I picked it up.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:57 PM   #5

Never use my camera without wrapping the strap over my arm or my neck when shooting.
I almost dropped it once while screwing the telephoto, and after that, the strap is the first thing I put on now.!!
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:19 PM   #6

That is the ONLY reason I want to use a strap, to stop the thieves. Personally if someone tried I would kill them and go to proison, but hey I pufff out my cheast and look as hard as I can it may put them off.
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:42 AM   #7

Hi Romerojpg

Forgive me if I am incorrect, but your avatar pic looks like Natalie Imbruglia? If you look like her and puffed your chest out you might get arrested, or more likely, get more attention from guys who wouldn't necessarily be interested in grabbing your camera! lol

Seriously though, security is an issue we should ALL take into account when out and about and wrist straps are a good option for some. Being a wheelchair user myself wrist straps are not an option, for obvious reasons! One idea I just thought of for anyone in the same position - or anyone taking pics while sitting down for that matter, would be to put a (lengthened if neccessary) neck strap over the shoulders and under the arms so that it becomes more of a body strap.

In my case, that way if anyone tried to pinch my camera they'd get 12stone of me, plus my wheelchair - which I'd then run over them with!

Cheers

Tony
kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:42 AM   #8

Hi Romerojpg
Further to my last post, I meant no offence by the Natalie Imbriglia reference! It was a joke. The security suggestion was serious though!

Tony
kriptone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:53 PM   #9

Natalie Imbruglia or not ...... you should be using protection!!!!! :-)

Buy a UV filter before you knock that lens once too often, once it's scratched it's too late!
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:24 AM   #10

I agree with slapping on a UV filter. Much easier to replae a filter vs a lense. A padded case is nice too. That being said, I have hauled mine all over the Smoky Mountains, through numerous hikes, to a multitude of soccer practices and games and family gatherings. it has been bumped and bounced quite a bit, in spite of my best efforts to prevent these things (never dropped though). It is still working like a champ. I would say the durability is pretty high at this point.
Vol Fan is offline   Reply With Quote