Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 19, 2006, 6:12 PM   #1

Hi,

Just a few Q's for the Panasonic FX01

1) Does this camera have a trim facility? i.e. lets you take a photo and then lets you zoom in to the image crop edges and resave?

2) Is the wideangle lens 28mm a standard, can I choose 35mm as an option in cam?

3) Is the Macro good and close up?

4) IS the SONY W100 a better camera?

5) Is there any manual settings? aperture etc to blur photos and keep the main subject in focus

Thanks
m.a.n.n.y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:03 PM   #2

While, I do have the FX01, and am happy with it as a point and shoot type camera, that my wife has confiscated, I cannot answer all your questions. I think it is 28mm to 102mm, 35mm equivlent. I would suggest that you search for posts by 'fmoore' in this forum for macros, photos, and about all you want to know about the FX01. It is a delightful camera.

bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:04 PM   #3

Sorry, about the double post.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:39 PM   #4

Manny

Hola Manny! As Rebel suggested your best bet would be for Fred aka fmoore to give you the best response. On Fred's sample shots from the FX01I managed to get a few friends at work to choose the FX01 as theyre pocket cam's.

1. Not sure - Fred would be able to answer
2. 28mm wide angle is standard. I think the FX01 has a 3 to 5 x zoom so you shoudl be able to get to say 90mm +
3. Not sure about teh macro mode - if it can do macro then Fred would really know.
4. From all the reviews on P&S cam's of that size it is the best. EVery review that ive seen esp in print in the UK its been vpted best buy.
5. Manual settings - unfortnately no. If you want manual control in a small camera then I think the LX1/LX2 is going to be what your looking for. Essentially its the FX01's big brother the LX1. The LX1 is a cracker of a cam - shoots wide screen 16:19 and even does RAW!

What gets me about the FX01 is how small it is its absolutely tiny but what pciture quality!

Woops just remembered the FX01's been upgraded by the FX02 and the LX1 by the LX2.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:09 PM   #5

The fx01 user manual (8.3mb pdf)is freely downloadable here.

1. It does have a trimming feature as you describe. Pg 76.

2. It has a 28-102mm lens. There is no automatic way to go the 35mm. It just takes a couple of clicks on the zoom lever to get to 35mm.

3. The macro mode of the fx01 is one of it's most useful features, IMO, in that you can get thistiny camera into situations/angles that a larger camer can't do. (I use the macro alot, to the point of leaving it in macro mode so that I'm always ready for a close-up. The auto focus goes to infinity in macro mode, so there is really very little reason to leave it in mormal mode. Except that theaf is quicker in normal.) That being said, the macro capability of the fx01 is really rather mediocre. You cant focus closer than about 1.5" -2" and the zoom in macro is pretty useless. Of course, the Leica lens does a wonderful job with quality.

4. The sony w100 only goes to 38mm. The 28mm fx01is a definite winner there. The w100 isn't image stabilized as the fx01 is. Those two attributes alone would make me choose the fx01.

5. No manual control on the fx01 (nor on the w100). You can use the zoom to blur the background somewhat, but not much. These small sensor digicams have alarge dof.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:30 AM   #6

Hey Guys, (bayourebel- HarjTT& fmoore)

Thank you so much, what a bunch of keen and helpful guy's

Very much appreciated

Regards

Manny

m.a.n.n.y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:08 AM   #7

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Woops just remembered the FX01's been upgraded by the FX02 and the LX1 by the LX2.

Cheers

HarjTT
Quote:
Harj,
Quote:
Are you sure about an "FX02"?
Quote:
I haven't come across this news anywhere.

ipaqowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:44 AM   #8

No fx02. The fx07 and fx50are the new models in the fx series. Yet to be shipped as far as I know.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:15 PM   #9

You don't need manual exposure or aperture priority to get the maximum background blurring. Just about any camera you buy will have a portrait and an action mode. Both open the aperture all the way. The only problem with those modes is that some new cameras like the Casios have so many modes you have to scroll forever to find the one you want. Most stay on the last mode you used. The FX01 has both a portrait and action mode, but 16 modes are too many – not as bad as Casio but still too many. The Sony W series has only 5 modes and one is twilight/portrait which will open the aperture all the way. I have no idea how it will work in bright daylight though.

I tend to agree with Simon at dpreview that stabilization on the small Panasonics just about makes up for the unsteady hold associated with not having an eyelevel viewfinder. Stabilization doesn't help at all for quickly acquiring and following a moving target when zoomed. Or with seeing the LCD clearly when sunlight is falling directly on it.

I think the W70 or even the W50 is a better choice than the W100 unless you have need for 8Mp. They are smaller and the manual mode on the W100 isn't that versatile or necessary IMO. The W50/70 are slightly smaller and lighter than the FX01 and have an optical viewfinder.

The better ISO 400 noise combined with the optical viewfinder probably makes up for the lack of stabilization on the W series. But I find wide angle very useful in a general purpose camera and the Panasonic has a much better burst mode. I would have a slight preference for one of the W series over the Panasonic because I hate not having an eyelevel viewfinder. But some people get along just fine without them and the FX01 is a terrific camera.

The Panasonic gives you the closest macro focus at 28mm (eq) and gives a good bit of barrel distortion. The W100 is a little better than the others in the W series for macro. It is probably a wash between the W100 and FZ01 for macro and the FX01 is probably a little better than the rest of the W series.

If you want really good macro get a Canon SD700. If you want to use flash on extreme closups consider a folded lens design like the Sony T9. You have to back off a tad but not like the W series or Panasonic with extending lenses.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote