Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:37 PM   #1

Hey I am sick of noise on my images with the Panasonice FZ30 (NOT ALL JUST SOME TIMES) and just downloaded the trial for Neat Image and my god it does a wonderful job just by itself with no messing about or anything. All I did was press apply and that was it the image was far, far better. I am thinking of getting it now. Sadly the Trial for Neat Image doesnt even let me try it for real and use it on any pictures that sucks! Trials ussually let you save a few.

But I have heard many people say Noise Ninja is better I had the trail of that a while back and I could not make it do anything what so ever and found it didnt do anything at all excpet make my pics look nasty and crap. I couldnt use it at all basically it was insanely hard.

So what do you use? I would like free software really but is there anything free thats as good as these? Or is there anything you can do with Photoshop? as I find that bad for noise too.
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:46 PM   #2

Hi :-) What ISO have you got your 30 set on?, mine is at 100 most of the time or 80 with good lighting and noise has never been a problem except in shots with the built in flash, I now use an external bounced hammer head gun and that's cured that problem very nicely :-)
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 1:19 PM   #3

Not sure if Neat Image has changed their demo. As I remember, the demo is freeware as long as its used for non-commercial. The demo has a limit on the number of images it can batch process.

I purchased their home version and use it as I find it does a good job when letting it find a suitable portion of the image on its own.

Others find Noise Ninja to be as good and has a 'wand' for touch up, apparently.

The following has a review on Neat Image with other info available...

http://photography.about.com/cs/digi..._neatimage.htm
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:30 PM   #4

Which version of Photoshop are you using? The free version of neat image has a plug in that works with Photoshop 5-CS2and Photoshop Elements 2-4. The free version only allows you to do 1024x1024, but you can use the marqee selector tool and select different areas of the picture to apply the filter to the whole image.It's more time consuming but it's free.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:31 PM   #5

I got neat Image from the Neatimage.com site, now its saying it will not do the whole picture, it just does a little square in the middle of the picture for some reason! if the pic is biger than 1024 x 1024 it wont do it, so its a very pointless freeaware version sadly. That sucks

I always shoot 100 or 80 (manural settings are set to 80 ISO). Its mainly for my insect pictures at the moment as the backgrounds seem to very noisey indeed, I am using the flash but it doesnt help to much. When I ran Neat Image on some insect pics they difference was stunning!

Ohh Yeah I am from Durham too
Old Aug 20, 2006, 3:18 PM   #6

I hadn't realized the Neat Image demo was that restricted. You might also try Noiseware and Noise Ninja. Whatever you decide on get a version that works as a Photoshop plug in. I apply noise reduction only to the parts of an image than need it. Noise reduction always degrades the image a little and I see no reason to have it soften parts of the image without noise. It appears the newer versions let you do some of that with the stand alone version, but if you are working in Photoshop anyway it is a lot easier to apply the noise reduction in Photoshop.

I don't think there is a big difference in effectiveness between Neat Image, Noise Ninja and Noiseware. Technique is probably more important than the specific program unless you use the stand alone program and just shotgun the entire image.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 3:24 PM   #7

It is a strange thing Noise. I just wish they would hurry up and make cameras with none of it

Still is there a good method in Photoshop anyone knows? I remember reading a good example on this forum, searched for it and cannot find it anymore.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 3:54 PM   #8

I just downloaded neatimage again after I couldn't find it on my computer any longer, and it seems to work ok for me still (this was probably a month or so ago). After it does just the little box, did you hit apply? Here are the steps I use: 1). Open input image. 2). Click on Device noise profile and then auto profile, 3). After the filtration is done (the little square), click on Output image, and then the box that says Apply (towards the left). It will then go through filtration again on the entire image, and then you just click on Save output image. I hope that helps. I've been using the neat image demo for about a year or so now, and I love it!

Melissa (http://www.mkklein.smugmug.com)
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:53 PM   #9

I'll try to explain this better than my previous post.

In Photoshop Elements use the rectangular marquee too to select an area of the picture that you want to use neat image on. It works best if you set the tool for fixed size and 1024x1024 with feather set to 30-40 pixels. once you have the area selected run the neat image plug in from the filters menuand apply.This way the noise reduction occurs where you want it.Now select a different area of the picture. If you want the same amount of NR just select reduce noise from the top of the filters menu or click Ctrl+F, if you want to change the amount of NR just go back to the neat image plug-in instead. keep moving the selection around and applying the filter. If you do it in sections like a grid you can use thefree version of the neat image plug inon the whole image. It takes longer but it works.

vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:03 PM   #10

The demo still seems to be free for non commercial use.

http://www.neatimage.com/download.html

instructions

http://www.neatimage.com/howto.html

genece is offline   Reply With Quote