Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:04 PM   #1
tlw

Sorry, I lost the original message. Please look below. Thanks.
tlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:34 AM   #2

Firstly whats your priorities for your cam ? What do you plan to shoot ? Is the camera's weight and size going to be an issue ? etc etc ,

On a related note Genece who has a Nikon D50 setup and also the FZ30 should be able to help you but we do need to know some of the above.

Cheers

HarjTT

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 3:49 PM   #3
tlw

Thanks for responding Harjtt,
I shoot a wide range of subjects and the camera weight is not a real big problem. However, I found the 80-200 2.8 more than I wanted to lug around. I'm happy with the D70 and 18-70 kit, but I still want some more reach without the weight. So I was wondering, maybe I should get the FZ50 and have all the reach I need or, get the 70-300mm VR from Nikon. Here's where my dilemma starts; I really like the "all-in -one" of the FZ50, and it would give me a back-up camera. But would I be satisfied with IQ of the FZ50 over the IQ of the 70-300mm Nikon. I guess the prudent thing to do is wait for more reviews of each.

Thanks for any ideas,
Tom

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Firstly whats your priorities for your cam ? What do you plan to shoot ? Is the camera's weight and size going to be an issue ? etc etc ,

On a related note Genece who has a Nikon D50 setup and also the FZ30 should be able to help you but we do need to know some of the above.

Cheers

HarjTT

:?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:58 PM   #4

I think the Jury is still out on both the 70 to 300VR and the FZ50

I would feel safe in saying the 70 to 300 will not have the same IQ as the 80 to 200 but everyone one thinks its still a nice lens......And its my guess the FZ50 will at least be in the ball park with the 70 to 300.......if you are aware of the noise.....I do not find it to be bothersome at all on the FZ30 ...but others sure do.

I can really say that if I look at 2 photos of similar subjects one from the FZ30 and one from the D50 with a 80 to 400 OS lens,, at full screen on my monitor....I must look very close to tellwhich camera the photo came from, and noise will be the givaway, but I have to look hard to see it.

If you examine the photos at 100% itis quite easy to see ......but I still say whats the point?

I also am waiting for more photos from the FZ50 before getting it or the D80.

I am quite sure there will always be a spot for a FZ30 or 50 in my camera bag.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:20 AM   #5
tlw

Thanks Gene, I had the FZ20 so the noise issue doesn't bother me. I also don't view images at 100% very often, heck even viewing images at 100% taken with my D70 will show some noise. I don't do a lot of cropping.

The main reason I asked about this subject at all is because even though I have the D70 now, I really miss the ease of the Fz20. I guess I was trying to find an excuse to buy the FZ50!

One more question for you Gene; do you use your D50 more than your Fz30?

Thanks,
Tom
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:18 AM   #6

That viewing at 100% is something I wish everyone would consider.....it just is not necessary very often and then only to crop, which You do not need to do much of with the FZ cameras...but I do know it can be useful at times. But quite honestly those photos can be dealt with.

And my wife took control of the FZ30 so I do use the D50 more often.... and because of the photos I enjoy taking its usually with the 80 to 400 OS. But thats really a heavy lens...I do wish someone would improve on a lens in this power with VR..

I really enjoy the optical viewfinder and the faster, surer focus And the Dynamic Range, of the D50 which are the reasons I think a D80 is in my future.

It is not the resolution....as far as the lenses I have, the resolution of the FZ30 is very much in the same Ball Park as the D50.

The difference in quality between a DSLR and the FZ30 was not worth the price difference, but now that I have most ofthe lenses I will use, I think I will continue with DSLR, but there will always be a ultrazoom close by.

I sound like a politician avoiding the question...but I really do like both systems.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 4:22 PM   #7
tlw

Hey Gene....I lied to you, I have one more question.

Do you have the SB600 or 800, and if you do, will they work on your FZ30?

I'm going to assume that if they work on your FZ30 then they will work on the FZ50.

Thanks,
Tom
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:05 PM   #8

I can not help you there, I keep wanting to get the SB800 for the extra power for fill flash but its so darn expensive. And I do imagine they will work but certainly not the same as they do on a Nikon.