Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:54 AM   #11

Thanks for indulging me. Lots of pictures I know. I just love what this camera is capable of producing.

Last one:
Attached Images

Vol Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:36 PM   #12

Nice pictures and family. I really like the girl and the rose, the coloured one.
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:45 PM   #13

Gosh, they are all nice photos. Beautiful children.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The waterfall shots are nice also, but I do really like the shots of the children.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:16 PM   #14

Hi, my favorite is #2. But all are very nice portraits. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:25 AM   #15

Thanks all for the feedback. We are actually doing paid sessions now, using the FZ30 and 20, and we are getting wonderful feedback from our customers too. Yes, we will move to digital slr's in due time, but never doubt the capabilities of these cameras. We have been "looked down upon" and "frowned upon" for attempting to do photography with a "point and shoot" camera. My argument is that this is far froma point and shoot. I for one do not think the ability to change lenses is the end all criteria as to whether a camera is point and shoot, and I feel that term is improperly applied in this instance. OK, I'll climb down off my soap box.

I am well aware of my cameras limitations, however, I am also aware of it its abilities as well. I have to say I am more than pleased, and I feel these were the perfect choices for my wife and I to start.

Already, they have both paid for themselves in sales of pictures and portraits. Yes, these were run through Photoshop, but in visiting other forums populated with numerous professionals, I have found that this seems to be the norm. No one is selling prints straight out of the camera.

Oh thanks for the compliments to my children, too. I have to say, I am pretty happy with them as well.
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:44 PM   #16

Hello Vol,

Thank you so much for posting your pictures. They are truely beautiful. I am greatly inspired that you are making money with your photography taken with the FZ20 & 30. I have an FZ30 and have wondered if I could possibly do the same (someday). Your pictures are proof of what this camera can do in the right hands and I wholeheartedly agree with yourcomments above.

Thank you again for the post of your lovely family and photo's. I hope to see more. :lol:

Teree
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:06 PM   #17

Vol Fan: those are super photos of your family and my favourite are the baby shots and the first one with of the girl with the rose...and as was said, I too hope I could get results half as good as yours..what were some of your settings?
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:28 PM   #18

Great pictures of a beautiful family'

Everytime we think the top standard has been reached, someone moves the goalposts

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 1:19 AM   #19

Quote:
"Great pictures of a beautiful family'

Everytime we think the top standard has been reached, someone moves the goalposts"

My goodness, he says that more than I ever could!!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:33 AM   #20

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. As far as settings go, well I have been learning to shot in manual. This was a big step forward, because it required me, as someone relatively new to photography, to really educate myself, not only about photography in general, but also about my specific equipment. I looked around for books on photography - posing, lighting, digital editing, portrait work, etc... and found several that I wanted available at overstock for a good price. I read, highlighted, experimented, went over my user manual again and again, visited this forum repeatedly and gleaned a tremendous amount of information.

For shooting in manual mode I started out by learning about the sunny 16 rule for setting aperture, experimented, referenced the histogram always to check exposure. Then as I started looking at using this to generate some income, I decided to invest in some equipment. A flash meter was at the top of the list. This really helped with taking guess work out of the settings, though I did find that I generally needed one stop lower than the flash meter gave. This still gave me a consistent starting point.

We invested in a 5 in 1 reflector, a couple of vivitar 3700 flash units and diffusers. These are what we use when we do our outdoor work. For indoors, we got a cheap set of strobes off e-bay and read every article we could find online about lighting set ups and ratios. We also grabbed an inexpensive backdrop stand and a few backdrops. All of this, books and lights and meters, everything, with some work, we purchased for under $2000 total. We paid for it as we made money from our photography work, so it took a little while. We did find you did not need all of the equipment to really get started, but it would have been easier.

We were initially limited to outdoor work for the most part. We began shooting stuff with building up a portfolio in mind. For this we bought a 3 ring binder and some sleeves, picked some of out favorites and started ordering 8x10's and 5x7's mostly. Started sharing it with friends and family, and they really encouraged us to pursue it. We did initial sessions for those people. This past month we had a paid session scheduled every weekend, and we just secured a yearbook shoot for a homeschool co-op of about 340 kids.

Guys and gals, it can be done. It just takes some diligence and effort and a willingness to learn. Get some good editing software, learn how to use it well, don't be afraid to experiment. I know I have created some really ugly pictures in the process, just make sure you don't save over your original :-). Ask for honest feedback, and not feel good fluff only. I had some pretty harsh feedback on other forums at times, but I learned.

Wow, this got long. Sorry for all that. If any of you want to chat with me, feel free to email me [email protected] (please don't spam me). Also, you can see some of our other stuff at www.sonlightportraits.com the password for the public galleries is simply public. I'll be glad to answer any of your questions.