Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:29 AM   #1

Hi,

I had posted in the newbie "what camera to buy" section. Mywife is ready for something smaller/lighter than her Canon Powershot A40, something she can put into her purse for travel and work (she sells homes so takes pics mainly indoors of rooms). And she would like something smaller/lighter for vacations.

The cameras we were considering were the new Kodak V705 and this Panasonic DMC-FX01 (both available in pink) and yeah she wants the pink.

With her selling homes the abilityto take wider inside room shots of homesREALLY appeals to her but wanting it in a smaller size this seriously limits her choices to the Panasonic FX01 or the Kodak V705.

We are not camera techies, more point and shoot folks.The wide shotability and smaller size overall is what shes looking for, with that in mind its down to the v705 from Kodak or the FX01 from Panasonic - here are my questions...

First off the V705 has a door that closes when camera is off, to her this is important because the cam will often go in her pocket or purse for work and vacations, does the FX01 have any sort of lens protection when camera is turned off?

Second, kodak site says 4.4oz without battery and card, Pana says 4.6 but doesn't say if its with or without card and battery, guessing without then - anyone know?

Third, battery power, the v705 batteryI readin another thread the V705 will be less powerful than the FX01 battery, is this true? The pana site says it will take average of 320 shots, thats decent to me, anyone know what the kodak v705 will be able to take on average?

Thanks for any and all help on this and I realize this is the Panasonic forum but this particular type of camera was probably tried & or researched a bit by the people looking forthese featuresand was hoping for some pros and cons of them.

The zoom thing isn't an issue to us, 80% of her shots are done in normal pan OUT mode to fit in as much of the room as possible for inside home shots, the wide angle of the V705 and the FX01 would both be improvements in that area from what we see (fitting in more of the room into one shot) and either would no doubt fit better into her purse...

Bill

(the bouncy guy is for my 5 yr old sitting next to me)

ftlosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:09 PM   #2

I've had my FX01 a week or so. I'm very pleased with it, BUT, it does not have a very powerful flash. If the rooms are well lit, it'll be fine. If the rooms are dim/dark, the FX01 will have a tough time, even at ISO 200. I have not tried the camera at ISO 400.

Given it's size and performance, it is quite a nice camera, and I now have a camera that I can always have with me.

Regards, Bob
allmeta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:29 PM   #3

Bob,

Thanks for the reply, curious if you can tell me when you take video with this is it video only or sound too?

I did get a reply saying there is a cover on the lens when power is off, is this correct?

Overall pretty decent battery life for ya too?

Beyond that its looking more and more like I am gonna be ordering up a FX01 for my wife here in the next few days.

For you camera gurus (we literally point and shoot) what can she do to help take better pics indoors in lower light situations, iso settings (never mess with that stuff) but will it help? I do notice when she takes a pic of a room with a window in main frame (blinds open or closed) the room seems washed out by the sunlight coming in, anyway around that happening (current camera canon a40 in dummy click and shoot mode). And even more curious what can be done about shots like that with this FX01 as it is what she will be using soon.

Currently when we get a dark shot like that I end up photoshop editing to fix it the best I can.

Bill
Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:37 PM   #4

Bob or anyone else for that mater, i would LOVE to have a shot or two to show my wife of the indoor wide shot view from the FX01. If possible could someone post a few shots showing an indoor view maybe in the 200 vs 400 iso mode (if that is what helps lighten up a room shot) maybe use imageshack or something free to host it and post the full image size if possible so i can open it up wide on my pc here to show her image quality and or difference between 200 vs 400 iso or whatever it is that might help lighten up a darker inside room shot.

Currently with her A40 in point and shoot mode when she takes inside shots LOTS turn out too dark

example

Imagine too what it will do to have that WIDE angle lens, this room looks tiny but it's actually not it is just the best she could do to step back wide out and get a shot of it... the wide ability should help a bit more on shots like this for her.

and I have to edit these one by one in photoshop (takes me a while to do) I realize the canon probably has settings we can change iso wise (honestly its her cam i didnt even read the book) but id like to see what this iso setting thing can do to an indoor shot brightness wise and the give and take of the photo quality when you do this.

Any help GREATLY appreciated,

Bill

Old Aug 22, 2006, 2:26 PM   #5

Anyone have the actual case they sell on the Panasonic website for this camera?

If so does the flip top part secure with velcro, a snap button or magnetic or just hang there....

Old Aug 22, 2006, 2:58 PM   #6

Well,

Video and sound too.

The cover on the lens closes when power is turned off.

Very goodbattery life. I've shot over 100 pictures on the first charge and the "meter" still shows "full".

The problem with the bright window in your sample, is that the light meter in the camera doesn't know what is important to you. One reason I opted for the FX01 is that it has spot meter and focus. so, in the case of your sample image, you would aim the camera at detail that is important to you and half press the shutter to lock the focus and exposure and then aim the camera for your desired composition.

Regardless, I'm curious about this myself. I'll see if I can take some interior shots for you. I'll take at 100, 200 and 400. The camera is not known for it's flash capabilities in reviews or newsgroups, so I need to check it out myself.

Regards, Bob
Old Aug 22, 2006, 3:01 PM   #7

PS: since Panasonic gave no details on this case, I tracked down (perhaps) better choices. I can email the details if you decide to get the FX01.

Bob
Old Aug 22, 2006, 3:44 PM   #8

yes I would love to see any shots or specs you were able to find, i found details on the case yet no open flap pics or details that mentioned type of closure..but I am open to other options if its a good case and a good fit for the camera.

[email protected] is my email btw, im 98% sure im ordering a FX01 tonight for her, I know she wasn't crazy about waiting for the V507 and in general I think the FX01 here will suit the same needs (smaller lighter wide angle shots) and give her a camera she can use NOW (in August is her BUSY time) vs waiting till late Sept to get it, then too the battery life on this has been said to be better too.

Tips on how to take those indoor shots like that (focus on darker area hold button half way then reaim and shoot) will help alot too thank you!

I gotta say for her its looks more than function yet I gotta fix every shot in photoshop for her LOL so the function part gets put on me, but some learning and tips and such Im sure her pics will turn out great with some practice and reading the manual/asking questions here etc.

I am not camera savy but is it possible to see a shot of a room with what the standard angle of my a40 does (standard 35mm i think you would say vs 28mm wide of the fx01) once I have it here ill be messin with that alot myself but would like to show her the difference of a room with and without the wide lens look to it.

Bill
Old Aug 22, 2006, 3:49 PM   #9

btw im not knocking the canon a40 it can do 10x what we do with it and adjust every one of those pics if I knew how (tips tricks manual reading) I got it for her way back when IT was small LOL, nowadays with these tiny ones and pink ones etc that is what she "wants" so the canon will be mine i guess and ill read her manual and walk her thru a few houses and situations of how to adjust things to make things right picture wise.

Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:40 PM   #10

Also have a look at new FX07 which will replace FX01 ...it has 7.2Mp and it has same body as FX01. B&H has is it in stock for $299.
Steve101 is offline   Reply With Quote