Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:21 PM   #1

I took this picture at our local zoo with the FZ7. I also took some with my e-500 which are on that forum. Thanks for looking. Donna
Attached Images

D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:29 PM   #2

I like it. You caught a strange looking pose.

..TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:57 AM   #3

You can't go past a bird with really nice long legs...Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:23 AM   #4

This is a good shot which has a couple of things that could make this better.

First, the feet are cropped off either by edit for post or shot that way with your FZ7.

Second, your ev setting could have used a -2/3 to -1 setting to help with the blown highlights on the Flamingos back.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 8:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the comments. Do you always need to have your EV -1 or whatever to control highlights...? Just in bright light?

You are very funny Bootneck, but I made it easy for you with that picture of "legs"

Donna
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:19 AM   #6

Hello D.Ann,

The Pana FZ line of cameras are excellent cameras but has a tendency to overexpose in the default ev setting. That is why I suggested it. You can also try bracket shooting as well.

I have been away from this forum for some time and just wanted to pass this on.

I enjoy seeing the postsfrom the new members here as well as the veterans alike.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:16 AM   #7

If you are interested in another opinion.....I do not believe the minus comp is at all necessary.....perhaps if your using the matrix meteringwhich I seldom use. .....

Experiment with the way you meter and you may find it not necessary either.....that photo is very nice but it is about at the limit of what your camera can capture....to have the highlight correct there would be an underexposed part of the photo .....but a slight underexposure is much easier to repair...... I do not know if the FZ7 has a contrast setting but if it does, do not overlook the role that the contrast setting can play in the situation you have there. Less contrast would help. IMHO.

At 1/2 press of the shutter... pretty much what you see is what you get ,and turn on the highlight feature of the review and if you see the flashing highlight blinking try a different spot to meter on for the next shot....but some photos such as that one are difficult, to say the least.

To look at the histogram of that photo it has clipped highlights and clipped shadows and while I would think that if I had my choice I would rather have more clipped shadows and no clipped highlights, its not always easy to achieve.

That is a difficult photo and you did pretty good.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:00 PM   #8

HI Donna

A nice shot indeed - just a wee bit soft on the flamingo itself. Vz's spot on about the overexposure habit of the earlier FZ's like the FZ1/Z5/10/15/20 but with the FZ30 they seemed to have nailed the exposure spot on. My Fz10 is always set to under expose by -2/3 to -1 EV. Its always better to underexpose a wee bit and then push/brighten the image in photoshop or any other imaging app.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:06 PM   #9

Thanks guys, I will take your advice under consideration. If a photo op presents itself, I sometimes can't think quickly enough of all the things one might consider to secure a good picture. The exposure, ISO, metering, aperture, etc...I try to plan beforehand...but then the lights changes...and so on. It's just not instinctive with me yet. Donna