Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:35 AM   #11

Debs - living in Cairns and you like black and white photography!

Living in Cairns and you are moving to Melbourne!

Where will it all end?

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:01 AM   #12

LOL.........ok Bootneck3, what do you mean by that? I love Cairns but after six years of living in the tropics, we are ready to move to the city. I have a 16 year old who is heavily into drama and a 21 year old who is itching to get into the music scene. Cairns is beautifiul but it has its limits as far as opportunity for youth. My husband is a chef and I am an artist.........and we are itching to get to the city and experience life without palm trees.

Tropical life is great............but sometimes it is not enough, Sure it is pretty and life is laid back and peaceful but sometimes it ain't enough for a household of artistiic teenagers who are hell-bent on making a mark.

Look at it this way.........I am swapping cyclones for bushfires!

Happy snapping.........

Deb
Debs_Melb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:12 AM   #13

I am a huge fan of the photographer Rex Dupain. His account of australia via black and white photography is inspiring....................

If you ever get hold of his book "Rex Dupain - Images of Australia" turn to page 53. There is a shot of an eldery lady with a feather cap who is crossing the street against a group of yuppies (new age youth with goth attire). The powerful contrast between this lady and the youth is inspiring................that is what I wanna do!!!!!!!!!!

Street photography is about capturing human nature against all odds.........it is about human character and the elements............

This is what I love about photography...........it is unpredictable............you can capture a moment in time which would otherwise be lost.

Nah...........black and white has its place.....it is all about separating the subject from the context. Sometimes it can be a powerful medium.

Cheers,

Debs
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:28 AM   #14

http://www.funkeldink.com/

For those who are interested in B/W photography, check out his link. He is a a young aspiring photographer who seems to have a "mood"for this medium. His "white" against black portraits are stunning!!!!!

Cheers

Deb
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:55 AM   #15

Hi Debs

This may be off topic but as someone new with the camera I'd recommend the following (its what I've been doing for a wee while now):

1. Do read the manual and have a look through the FZ10 userguide that's posted here on the forum. Its a must read. I do wish that it was updated for the newer FZ30/50's as some of the qwirks of the earlier FZ's have been fixed in the newer cameras and I know there are plenty of very good FZ30 shooters on the forum that could add to it. However, there's is still lots of really good information on the FZ's in the guide for you to read up on.

2. We all need a bit of inspiration and for this I always look at the pics over at http://photo.net and also here on the forum - there's some very talented shooters here like squirrll, fmoore, tchaunye, genece,boyzo, Namer to name just a few.

The other really good aspect of photo.net is that it has a very good section on how to learn photography and also you'll find shots from all types of camera's from the top of the range Canon 1D's to our fab FZ's. A lot of the photography there is amazing and if your like me getting the old brain ticking over wondering how they can take that kind of shot.

http://www.photo.net/gallery/photocritique/filter

Your can search by any type of photography you want, portraits etc.

Take a look at these pics - taken with a Sony 828 digicam and my favorite gallery there:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-...mp;include=all

3. Whats always been said here on the forum is take pics and post them for critique. You can learn so much by someone simply commenting on a shot.

4. If you're find it hard to find time and also a subject to shoot what I did was join up at dgrin.com and enter the twice monthly photo challanges. Your set a subject and have two weeks to shoot something. Added to that as I've been studying again I restricted myself to just a 1hours worth of picture taking and that really helps to focus your mind to the task at hand and I've noticed an improvement in my pics since I started to do this.

Hope that helps

Cheers

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:16 AM   #16

Thanks HarjTT,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Some really useful links and advice there. My husband and I are heading off to the Tablelands this weekend for some much needed R&R and together time. I will be taking my camera in the hope of having some time to experiment.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Ok..........I know, I know,husband comes first but sometimes you just have to get that shot regardless!!!!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Ok.....time to grab another glass of wine and check out these links you've sent me!!!!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Cheers

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Deb
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:30 AM   #17

I don't know if this will work for you but when I bought my FZ30 I went straight to the apeture and shutter priority modes. I just needed to work out if the motion or the depth of field is more important in the shot. From there I am starting to jump to full manual mode.

And there are plenty of good photo oportunities in Melbourne.
vonsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:07 AM   #18

Thanks Vonsanchez, that is what I am doing - learning to use the aperture mode and seeing what results I get from that. I select the depth and the camera selectes the shutter speed. Once I am comfortable with that, I can try selecting both exposures myself.

Yes, lots of photo opportunities in Melbourne. We like Cairns but I am not really into photographing rainforest or beaches. I like buildings and people.

Cheers,

Debs