Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:31 PM   #1

Hi,
I just bought a panasonic FX01 and found that the ratio setting for the camera are 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9. Can anyone here tell me what is the difference between this 3 setting? if i set it to 4:3, means that when i develope my photo and will cause "cutting photo" because the photo paper size different?

thanks

regards,
koshinki
koshinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:16 PM   #2

You are correct.....at 4/3 you have an exact 9X12 and at3/2 you have a 4X6.....I always shoot at 4/3 with the panasonics as it seems to me I get a better focus at that ratio.....I know thats probably not so, but I have that opinion so thats the way I shoot.

And I think 16/9 is for HDTV.

While my other camera shoots at 3/2 and it really causes no problem ,at least for all I print, I can always crop the photo to the size I want.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:29 PM   #3

4:3 is the format we see on our Analog TV sets and best used if you are going to print 5x7, 8x10, less cropping of your shot. If you print 4x6 in this format and took a very tight shot it would be cropped.

3:2 is the movie format and is best used if the majority of your prints are 4x6, miniscule to no cropping.

16:9 is the HDTV format and can be view on HDTV sets in full view when viewing photos on an HDTV. I never tried printing anything taken in this format.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:33 PM   #4

Gene and vZ have pretty much answered the question. I'll just add that the ratio of the rectangular fx01sensor (as with most digicams) is 4:3. The 3:2 and 16:9 are in-camera crops of the native 4:3 with corresponding reductions in resolution as measured by the total number of pixels.

I've played around some with the 16:9. Here's one with the fx01.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 3:47 AM   #5

thanks for all the reply and info. i think i'll set this to 3:2 but i realized that is only 5Mega pixel. think should't be too much difference compare to 6 mega pixel.

thanks

koshinki is offline   Reply With Quote