Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 27, 2006, 2:15 PM   #1

I last night experimented with late night photos, and basically they looked crap and took ages to do a shot.

The shots I was taking were lasting 8+ seconds!

I know upping the ISO will make it shorter, but I dont ever want to go higher as they frankly looks poor.

So what do you do exactly? High F stops?
I am very confused about f Stops and a lot of the people recomending things are recomending tips that really only work for a Good DSLR, our Panasonics are not exactly the same at all.

As I have seen some stunning images shot in the night and they were done at 100th of a second, how the hell do I do that?

Heres one shot that turned out, its just a test to see how long it would take etc.. and really the results were not exactly good. The early dark nights are on the way and I want to be prepared as photos in the dark of night are going to be all I take for a few months. Any good examples of Nighttme photos please show me some, as it will all help

8 second exposure!!!!
F number8
No Triopd just put it in the floor.

romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2006, 4:16 PM   #2

Increasing the f-stop just requires a longer shutter. Some people try to find the sweet spot where the lens gives the sharpest image, but for most shots it doesn't make a big difference with a small sensor. You will likely get about the same shot with the widest f (lowest number) available for the zoom you are using.

No way you are going to get that shot at 1/100 second. Since you have to use a tripod anyway you might as well use a low ISO to minimize noise.

Sodium light usually gives the WB a fit. You could carry a gray or white card (or sheet of paper) and do a custom WB that would probably give you something close to my attachment. I don't think there is a pre-set that works well for sodium. You could try incandescent and probably come closer than what you got.

You might consider an Ultrapod II. You can attach it to poles or benches or whatever is near. It is a lot easier to carry around than a good tripod and works better than having to set the camera on something. You can usually find them online for under $20: http://www.pedcopods.com/instru02.htm Campmor: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 4:34 PM   #3

I think your photo is nice....I am not sure spot meter is a good choice for that photo but maybe....its a nice photo.

Here is one of the best night photos I have seen from a FZ.....Its not my photo, just a nice photo...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19717804
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 6:44 PM   #4

Hola Romero

Its still a nice shot and having right on the ground makes it even better. Now me, I personally with the FZ10 always shoot with spot metering even night time shots whether thats a good idea I'm not sure but it seems to work.

Now for night shots the best bet is to stick the ISO at 80 or 100. If your usign a tripod switch of the IS as that will have an impact on the shot as it tries to compensate for shake when there is none. Havign eth camera on eth floor I might leave it on. Depending on the effect you want its always good to play around and take a few shots with the slightly different shutter speeds and apareture's. I'd say for a night shot you want a small aparture value - so anything from f5.6 - f11 should be fine as you want to have everything in the shot tack sharp. With that shot of yours I would have tried say a 1sec shot first and then taken it from there. Not sure of 1/100s night shots unless they were taken of the moon as they would basically be black even if apareture was wide open at f2.8.

Here's one of my first night shots (thats after Anthony on the forum here told me
what fstops were and how to use them)

A slightly newer shot:

Cheers

HarjTT

:O:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the info, it all helps.

They are the kinds of images I hope to be taking any exif info for them shots at all? as I would like to know exact settings people used, ussually I just right click images and get that info but this site seems different and it never works.

Its a strange thing really as nightime shooting seems a lot harder than any other times. I have been experimenting more with the manual settings recently and seemto have the hang of daytime shooting. So I now need to learn night.

Spot Meter I always use now, as hey I dont know how to use any of them and Spot seems to at least go where I want, need them all explaing to me exactly to how they work I guess.

Using Auto isnt good for night with the camera I find, as it uses what it likes for the ISO and it may choose ISO 400 and no way I want that.

I will be taking out my Tripod I am sure to get shots, never used it outside yet as it takes a lot longer to take pictures thats for sure. I may also make a beanbag thingie everyone raves about as they stabalise the camera and are quick to set up.

I also may feel a right fool with a triopd out in public, thats one big reason I havent used it outside yet. hope I get the courage to and I can then beat the crap out of any thieves lookig my camera over
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Its still a nice shot and having right on the ground makes it even better. Now me, I personally with the FZ10 always shoot with spot metering even night time shots whether thats a good idea I'm not sure but it seems to work.

Seems I am wrong again as it sure worked for you, HarjTT
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:21 PM   #7

Cheers Gene - I think its more luck than anything else!

Romeo - here's a link to the gallery :

http://HarjTT.smugmug.com/gallery/399640/4/16193066

All the pics have exif's available.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:57 AM   #8

Thanks for the link, plenty of photos for me to see

Never used a SmugMug account before, I never had an online photo account before, really only just got myself a Flickr account and loving that.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:47 PM   #9

the fz30 can produce some really nice night shots. You just won't be doing them at 1/100 unless its a moon picture. Bring your tripod, use the timer and use a larger aperture setting.(Lower Numerically)

I prefer to use a smaller aperture at night to help keep everything in focus. It just requires a longer shutter.
Stump1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:20 AM   #10

I think digital cameras like the FZ30 offer great potential for night photography.

Yes, a tripod will be required and I think a remote release is a much better option than the self timer.

Last month I was in Nathan Rd, Kowloon. f8, 1/8s, ISO 80.
cheers,

Max
Attached Images

Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote