Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 27, 2006, 2:23 PM   #1

I just got an FZ50 camera and had planned to purchase the flash unit for it until I saw the price! The price of the lowest priced Panasonic flash unit for the FZ50 is $599, about the same price as the camera. I was really shocked and didn't buy it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I had heard that Panasonic makes the Olympus flash units and looked at the descriptions of the FL 36 on the net, which cost about $200. I wasn't able to determine whether this unit might work with the FZ50. The description says that the FL36 was made for Olympus' 4/3 cameras and a user wrote that it did work with some cameras he had tested - none were Panasonic. Does anyone know if any of the Sunpac style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"units would work with the FZ50's TTL system? Please tell me that there will be an alternative to the high-priced Panasonic...... I would like one that works with the TTL capabilities of this camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Have previously used a film SLR and a Nikon digital point & shoot which are replaced by style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"the FZ50 to travel a little lighter and still have the point & shoot and "SLR-like" capabilities. I style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" had to spend an entire day going through the menu system of the FZ50 sohaven't taken many photos yet. The manual's text is extremely small and had to get out a magnifying glass to see the icons referred to!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I chose a Sandisk Extreme 2g card which may be overkill but should be reliable. I plan to buy another card (either 2g or 4g) for traveling - any suggestions on the best to buy (some movies,mega photos, some burst photos) ?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Sharon

Deuxchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2006, 6:56 PM   #2

Deux

From what I can tell the Pana Flash units for the FZ50 are just rebadged Oly FL50's which makes sense as Pana apparently makes this flash for Olympus. Id therefore get the OLY FL50 and I think the cheaper FL36 should also work too as they are both exactly the same pin wise.

The FL36 is $ 179.95 and the FL50 is $379.50 from BHPhotovideo. Thats a pretty big difference over a name on the unit.

The FL50 is supposedly a pro flash gun and I'm lookign at picking one up for my E1 but for now my Sunpack 383 works with both cams pretty sweetly. If there is a Sunpack that works with the OLy hotshoe and is TTL then it will work with the FZ50/L1 too.

Cheers

HArjTT

:| :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:49 AM   #3

Hi HarjTT,

I apologize for the coding displayed in my previous post and as I don't know what caused it then, it may happen with this post as well. The help page didn't help!

Thanks for letting me know about the Oly and Pana flash units being the same - I'd rather not pay a couple hundred or more for the same thing, so I'll see if the Oly will work or if not, a Sunpac.

Sharon
Deuxchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:26 AM   #4

I can't help you with your flash....

But this is the link to your manual:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...FZ50-MULTI.PDF

cheers Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:13 AM   #5

Hi Sharon

I had a look for a Sunpak with an Oly TTL but couldn;t find anythign on the BHphotovideo site. The FL50 is said to be an extremely good flash unit and much better than the FL36. One of the main reason's that the FL50 is better is the flash recycling time - the FL50 is near instant while the cheaper FL36 has a fair delay and this is due to it only using 2 AA batteries. Metz do a flash for a Oly hot shoe but I'm not sure if its TTL.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:51 AM   #6

FL 36 is powerful and I find pretty good in use
maybe that says more about Oly TTL than the flash though
what it lacks is a sync chord plug attachment

you are spot on with the repeat shots issue HarjTT
sometimes I have like 10 seconds between frames when the cells are getting low
that said its easier to feed 2 cells at a time in the field
and maybe the difference between flash and no flash..

I looked for weeks for a TTL compatible flash for Oly and didnt find one
you wont have any joy from Sunpac or any of the other third string manufacturers

the FL 36 lists out here for A$670 or so
I bought mine from an ebay dealer in Hong Kong for A$320
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote