Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:08 PM   #1

Boy was I suprised when I typed in the search box for FZ 40 (figureing that may be the name for the continueing line of FZ zoom digitals from Panasonic. AND-a number of stores selling an FZ 50 came up on my screen.
Please- anybody- I'd like to hear of your experience if you have an FZ 50. I have the FZ 20 and am very impressed with it (5 megs) but this FZ 50- at 10 megs. 12 x optical- wow!!!
fzlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:37 PM   #2

no answers??? wrong forum!!!
this is the wow 10Mpixel forum (sometimes):
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033

I am searching for a 4-6Mpixel FZ40 still........

Leica stated that their optics will survive many years, I believe in Leica (and not in P.)
.....if you don't need your excellent FZ20 any longer, please give it to me ;-)

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:30 PM   #3

fzlover wrote:
Quote:
Boy was I suprised when I typed in the search box for FZ 40 (figureing that may be the name for the continueing line of FZ zoom digitals from Panasonic. AND-a number of stores selling an FZ 50 came up on my screen.
Please- anybody- I'd like to hear of your experience if you have an FZ 50. I have the FZ 20 and am very impressed with it (5 megs) but this FZ 50- at 10 megs. 12 x optical- wow!!!
Judging by the quality of FZ50 pictures I have seen you are better off keeping your FZ20,

The 10MP FZ50 produces poorer quality pictures and does not have f2.8 at all zoom settings. 10MP on a small sensor is deterrent to fine quality sharp pictures.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 7:21 PM   #4

In reply Lovelife- you may have seen some other digital pics- for the FZ 50 will not be released till Mid September- although a number of stores are takeing orders already.

(quoted from Panasonic.com web site). In my original note- (above) I didn't realize it hadn't been released for sale as yet.

Thanks anyway for your note.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:03 PM   #5

The FZ50 has been on sale at Amazon for over a week already, many people already have them and have been posting them on various forums. You can see some at Pbase: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/panasonic/lumix_dmc_fz50

It seems like it might make a good companion to your FZ20, the upgrade from the FZ30 (what I have) seems far less certain. If it can do decently at ISO 400 or 800 under poor light conditions, dawn/dusk, over cast etc, I'd upgrade from the FZ30 but so far I haven't seen any shots posted under those conditions.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:45 PM   #6

How about that- and Panasonic said the FZ 50 wasn't to be released till mid Sept. I saw those sample FZ 50 pics at the web site you listed- I was pretty impressed. They had some shot at the 1600 ISA- I'm not too crazy about the weight of the cam.however- 1.5 lbs.

Anybody reading this have first hand experience with the FZ 50?? 10 meg, 12 x optical ISA to 1600.