Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:22 PM   #1

I bought an fz7 about a month ago based on good reviews here on Steve's as well as other sites. I love everything about the camera-the ergonomics,speed,battery life,etc. I am just not pumped about the quality of the pictures I'm getting. Most all reviews rave about the quality at low ISO,but I just don't see it. Occasionally I'll get a good shot,so maybe I'm to blame,but even on simple mode the pics lack the clarity and color of my old HP point and shoot. Any other fz7 owners care to comment? Panasonic tech service has been little help so far,but I'm still working on that. Any responses appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary
gmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:31 PM   #2

Nobody will be able to give you a very good answer unless you post an example photo.
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:38 PM   #3

Garry

BK is absolutely spot on - post a couple of shots and you also need to tell us what settings your using on the cam.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:38 PM   #4

Garry

BK is absolutely spot on - post a couple of shots and you also need to tell us what settings your using on the cam.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:47 PM   #5

It's already been said, but it would definately be helpful to see some of the pictures that are lacking the picture quality you speak of. I have an FZ7, and although I haven't used it too much (I still use my FZ20 most of the time), I have been pretty please with the shots I have taken so far.
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:54 PM   #6

gmay wrote:
Quote:
I bought an fz7 about a month ago based on good reviews here on Steve's as well as other sites. I love everything about the camera-the ergonomics,speed,battery life,etc. I am just not pumped about the quality of the pictures I'm getting. Most all reviews rave about the quality at low ISO,but I just don't see it. Occasionally I'll get a good shot,so maybe I'm to blame,but even on simple mode the pics lack the clarity and color of my old HP point and shoot. Any other fz7 owners care to comment? Panasonic tech service has been little help so far,but I'm still working on that. Any responses appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary
Gary,

I hope you are still reading, and have not given up. Based on what you have stated I would say to keep away from "simple mode" stick to the "P" or full program mode. Use one area focusing, use ISO 80 or 100, set white balance to auto, use IS mode 2and use the center weighted metering. Outside on a clear day you should get a lot of very clear pictures. Start at the wide end of the zoom and resist the temptation to go to 12x for every shot.

Practice, practice and more practice. Then let us know what else we can offer for help.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:06 PM   #7

What he said. Light is important. Don't expect great pictures in low light - especially if you aren't yet sure which settings to use.

bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:46 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I have not quit reading,but have been quite busy this week. I plan to post a few pics as soon as I have a chance to resize a couple. I'll keep working with the camera and maybe someday I will be satisfied.

Gratefully, Gary
gmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:37 AM   #9

Like I mentioned before, I haven't used my FZ7 too much, but this is one that I took today with it. I'm not sure what you consider good or bad in terms of picture quality, but I thought I'd post an example of one that I don't think turned out too bad.

Melissa

FZ7 - ISO100 - "S" mode - 1/400 sec - hand held

Attached Images

ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:12 AM   #10

Hey Melissa, nice shot.
The ones with the bright background are really hard to handle. Purple fringing on most cameras ruins the shot.
To me, this shot is just fine, maybe a little bit of more light on the bird is needed, but too much would ruin the effect of the silhouette of the bird cutting the bright background.

Noise with the FZs is not an issue when there's enough light.
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote