Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:30 PM   #1

Hey,
I have a request of fellow FZ7 owners,
I am just wondering if the high amount of grain and splotching at the pixel level of the FZ7 is normal, I just want to make sure I don't have a substandered model before the warranty runs out, here is 100% crop sample:

Thanks,
The Shrimp
Shrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:10 PM   #2

Hi Shrimp

Whats in-camera settings have you got the FZ7 set for and what ISO was that crop taken at ? Bye that I mean the ISO settings and picture settings (contrast, sharpness, saturation). I would set contrast,sharpness and saturation to low and the ISO at 80 or 100 which ever is the lowest and then try again and lets us know if theres a difference. Also if your exposure is out then you'll get noise in the shot esp in the shadow areas.

Cheers

HarjTT

:?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:26 PM   #3

These are ISO 80 in perfect exposure and focus, it just seems that the sensor introduces the splotching to the entire photo, although it is acceptable at other crop levels it reduces the usefullness of the photos,
Nathaniel
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:39 PM   #4

This is only my opinion ...but if you wish to use 100% crops you need another type camera than an ultrazoom.....The zoom is to reduce the need for a crop......you can still get a crop but 100% is very difficult. I frequently do about 40% or so but very seldom 100%....remember I said its my opinion.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:16 PM   #5

Nathaniel

Have you tried to print a noisy shot out yet ? You may find that when printed that there is hardly any visible noise in the pic - an 8x10 would be a good size to use as a test.
Cheers

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:40 PM   #6

I will test as suggested,
This is my first time with a slightly serious camera and I was just wondering if this was to be expected, it shouldn't be much of a problem,
Nathaniel
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:08 PM   #7

Shrimpy wrote:
Quote:
I will test as suggested,
This is my first time with a slightly serious camera and I was just wondering if this was to be expected, it shouldn't be much of a problem,
Nathaniel
Nathaniel,

As Gene mentioned 100% crop is pretty hard to judge images by. What I mean is if you printed an FZ7 image at the 100% value of your monitor your image would be about 39" wide and 29" high (72ppi). I don't think you will find any 6mp image from any camera that looks "really good" on screen at 100%. At least I've never seen one. As HarjTT mentioned often the best measure is to print it at your desired size, and then view it from the likely distance you would use that print for.

Post an 640x480 or 800x600 version of your best image and I'm sure it will look very nice. The whole image that is.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote