Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:13 PM   #1

Not being a Panasonic owner
I wanted to get a feel for how current owners felt about how useful OIS really is.
Im interested in all comments, but I will have a sharp eye on the FZ 50 end of the scale.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:36 PM   #2

Well, I own an FZ7 and before that was an FZ3 and before that was an old Olympus. I will never go back to a camera without OIS again. I have no doubt that I would have very little success with long zoom shots without OIS or the use of a tripod would be mandatory for me. Seeing that I can get cameras with OIS for a reasonable price, why would I consider one without? I can't think of any reasons as DSLR's are not on my list.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:52 PM   #3

The Panasonic OIS is the benchmark digicam image stabilzation system. No one does it better. The Panasonic/Leica glass is also the creme de la creme. If Panasonic could come up with a sensor to match the Fuji super sensor, they would blow the competition away.

Here is a 1/6s handheld shot of a little table my 5yr-old grandaughter made for me. That's putting the OIS to the test.

FX01, iso80, 1/6s, f2.8

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:58 PM   #4

I took several photos from a moving boat in San Fransisco Bay and most were acceptable. It wouldn't have happened without OIS>

Jack
jb21729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:06 PM   #5

Hi Fred

I couldn't have said it any better ! OIS allows you to take pics that you otherwise just would not be able to get without a tripod. Here's another shot at the other end of the scale - taken at 400mm, f5.6;1/800 ISO100 hand held.

Cheers

HarjTT

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:03 PM   #6

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
I wanted to get a feel for how current owners felt about how useful OIS really is.
Are you kidding? :O OIS is essential. Life would be all blurry without it.

bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:20 PM   #7

bkrownd wrote:
Quote:
Rriley wrote:
Quote:
Are you kidding? :O OIS is essential. Life would be all blurry without it.

I completely agree man. I'll straight up say I couldn't live without OIS, it's good stuff.
treed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:07 PM   #8

Of course I also spend 90% of my time at 12x zoom wishing I had more more more zoom.
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:06 AM   #9

I have tremors and without OIS could not even think of a hand held 12x shot. With OIS I get some pretty nice shots all the way through the zoom range. I guess there are probably someexpensive and extremely fast canmeras that might do the job for me, but not in my price range. I wouldn't even think of buying a camera without it.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:13 AM   #10

I think anyone that does not think OIS or IS or VR is useful , does not have an understanding of whatstabilization is suppose to do.

I keep seeing threads that say it did not work because a moving subject was blurry....those folks donot understand.

It stops camera movement not action.

For someone like me its invaluable.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote