Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:18 PM   #1

Stalking Wildlife - How To - (Ducks 101)

I am not trying to tell anybody how to do anything. This is how I do it.

All Photos with my FZ30

I have had numerous E-mails asking how I get the close up photos. Here is a series explaining how I do it.

I was in my truck glassing with my binoculars when I found some ducks on a ranch pond. Evening some sun left and the wind was in my face. Time for a stalk.

I stopped for my first photo about 150 yards away from where the ducks were on the pond. I added two inserts from the closeups I got later.

This photo is a little closer ( to get here was about 20 yards of crawling) and it is time for me to back up and go to my right so I can approach the pond from the trees on the right had side of the 1st photo. The one large tree next to the pond is my goal. The 1/2 circle to get to the correct side of the tree will mean I have to go 3 to 4 times farther than going straight to the pond. If they see me they are gone so I have to stay out of their sight.

About 25 yards from the tree I had to bend way over. 10 yards away now it is time to crawl to the tree. Here is a photo from the base of the tree.

Now it is time to wait and move then wait and move again. Watching the ducks and when they are looking the other way I slide on my butt trying to get in front of the tree. Probably 3 times and I am where I want to be for the close ups.

Some of the other close ups I used as inserts in the first 3 photos

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:55 PM   #2

Totally wacky Roger, gone quacky.

Great series. Something quacky about the whole thing, but never the less, it proves the dedication and investment that you put into what appears to be your second love, (hopefully, wife and family first).
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:26 PM   #3

Nice little post, some work goes into your posts.

But Bread in one hand and camera in the other, throw some bits and watch them flock around you like loonies on speed! :lol: thats how I do it, and they come right up to the lens (a few inches away from me!) they can get violent mind you and noisey. But thats how I get all my Duckies to pose.

But seriously "ducks in public" esspecially love being fed and will kill for food but never seen Wild Ducks like in them pictures as we in the UK dont have that many Wilder ones about and thats one good thing about Public duckies, they like people.

Heres some I like up pretty close, even got the camera in Macro mode sometimes as they just stick so close to me. Defending the food they steal from others.

romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:31 PM   #4

Hello Mr. Jerry, The order that works for me is:

1. Wife & Family
2. Friends
3. Being outdoors.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Totally wacky Roger, gone quacky.

Great series. Something quacky about the whole thing, but never the less, it proves the dedication and investment that you put into what appears to be your second love, (hopefully, wife and family first).
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:33 PM   #5

Hi romerojpg, thanks for looking. I like your close ups. I still haven't figured out how to get that close to the wild ones.

romerojpg wrote:

Quote:
Nice little post, some work goes into your posts.

But Bread in one hand and camera in the other, throw some bits and watch them flock around you like loonies on speed! :lol: thats how I do it, and they come right up to the lens (a few inches away from me!) they can get violent mind you and noisey. But thats how I get all my Duckies to pose.

But seriously "ducks in public" esspecially love being fed and will kill for food but never seen Wild Ducks like in them pictures as we in the UK dont have that many Wilder ones about and thats one good thing about Public duckies, they like people.

Heres some I like up pretty close, even got the camera in Macro mode sometimes as they just stick so close to me. Defending the food they steal from others.

Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:00 PM   #6

Hi, thanks for sharing your tips...looks like you have to get pretty physical to get the best shots. Nice series as always...Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:37 PM   #7

If you take your time you really don't notice any extra effort.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
Hi, thanks for sharing your tips...looks like you have to get pretty physical to get the best shots. Nice series as always...Donna
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:40 PM   #8

Roger, always look for your wildlife (and train) pictures and they never fail to impress.

I don't really think you are quackers

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:13 PM   #9

My friend Jerry knows I always I always get a big laugh with his way of using words about the animal and what I did. He is THE MAN with words and I really look forward to his funny comments.

Wacky, Quaky and a little bit nuts is probably a good description of me. IMHO: this is a good thing for me because I need to have fun and laugh everyday.

Fred, I really appriciate your kind words about my wildlife photos. THANK YOU.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

Bootneck3 wrote:

Quote:
Roger, always look for your wildlife (and train) pictures and they never fail to impress.

I don't really think you are quackers

Fred