Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:49 PM   #1

I took these pics today along with others and almost had good ones except for slight blur-to my eyes anyway. I had maxed out with shutter speed for the available light but did not think to try higher ISO and deal with noise later. Im used to ISO 80 and not even think about it anymore. Suggestions on a fix would be certainly appreciated.
Attached Images

dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:53 PM   #2

once more
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:58 PM   #3

last one and btw the cam was held securely meaning no hand shake.
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:24 PM   #4

I think those are very nice especially the 3 rd one......F5.6 would help with the sharpness but at the cost of some shutterspeed.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:58 PM   #5

Gene-- Thanks for the suggestion as I value your opinion. I should proabably read up on basics but I always thought that if I were to open the shutter ie 2.8 that would increase the shutter speed, giving a sharper pic. You suggest using the ,sweet spot, 5.6 to give improved sharpness. I will try it out but I think the Jays are getting tired of me.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:04 PM   #6

All are great captures. A Jay in flight isa hard capture as they are not what I would refer to as a glider riding the air currents. #3 is my favorite. Keep up the good work.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:42 PM   #7

And its very hard to guess but the Jay could get enough closer that with the DOFof F2.8 it may be slightly out of the sharp focus area......but I still think they are very good.

Seeing as how you are getting some good opportunities and some good photos...maybe try even a smaller aperture and a Higher ISO just to see the result.

Try F7 and ISO200, be sure to show us the result.

That is one reason I like auto ISO ,many times the camera will choose something like ISO125...to give a good shutterspeed and low noise.

You may not need the Higher ISO as I think the blur that isthere, is due to the DOF nota resultOF SS.....but thats just a guess.

But those are great opportunities to experiment with.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:53 AM   #8

I think genece probably nailed it, out of DOF. When I tried that stuff I had a lot of failed images, that just made the successes somehow more appealing. You could try measuring the distance to the roost when they are not around, or finding the 'in focus' area with a target, and marking the spot for the tripod in the hide so that you can duplicate the circumstances later.

Wildlife photograhy is a very difficult sphere, and usually equipment intensive.
Its common for action photos to use more and very poweful flash to support the image exposure, but that can often leave dark underexposed areas in the background. You can often see the use of twin flashes reflected in the eyes of the birds or critters. Flashes are often mounted remotely so that the flash to subject distance is less.

You did the right thing by photographing at the same height as the bird, its not a good look to be below or above them. In time, the birds will get more used to you, and it will become easier, untill they are raising young again.

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote