Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 2, 2006, 1:56 AM   #11

What kind of Panasonic and which lens did you use? I was very impressed with the macro shots of the grasshopper and the fly?

Did you use a tripod or just hand held?

Did you use any form of auxillary lighting or were the shots in natural light?

I'm amazed the insects stayed around long enough for you to get such sharp pix.

I have a Lumix DMC 80 (5 MP) . I haven't tried close ups like the insect shots but I think I will give it a try.

Any hints?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 2:34 AM   #12

lesmore49,

I am using a FZ-30.

The macros were taken using a Raynox DCR-150 lens, handheld with a Sunpak 433D flash (with Stofen Omni-Bounce) for fill lighting.

With things like flies and grasshoppers, I find I just have to take as many pictures as I can as quickly as possible and hope I get one or two keepers before they fly/hop away. We had a constant breeze that day, which made things even tougher.

I'm not at all familiar with that model camera you have, so I guess my best advice would probably be to scour the Panasonic forum here. There are a several guys/gals here who are masters of macro photography. Also, take a ton of pictures, try different angles, lighting, etc. It costs nothing and I believe it is the best way to learn.

Thanks for viewing and commenting!
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:03 AM   #13

Red

A lovely batch of pics from your FZ30 - really well done set of macro shots and the puddy cat is just tack sharp and as a B&W really works.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:05 AM   #14

Very nice photos! Love the cat photo and I don't have a problem with the composition at all. I haven't seen one of those catepillars since I was a youngster...thanks for stirring my memory. They are quite interesting.

Beth Ellen
FZ5
www.eclecticcafejournal.com/WordPress
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:56 AM   #15

everyone has said all that I could...but the photo of the cat is super too and I luv the expression that you captured and portraying him in black and white...
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:06 AM   #16

HarjTT, Beth Ellen & annie57,

Thanks. I do appreciate the comments.
Maybe I'll have to spend some more time in the yard this weekend. I'm hoping to catch come hummingbird shots before they all fly away.

- Mick

Cute avatar, Beth Ellen!

Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:03 PM   #17

RedStickMan wrote:
Quote:
lesmore49,

I am using a FZ-30.

The macros were taken using a Raynox DCR-150 lens, handheld with a Sunpak 433D flash (with Stofen Omni-Bounce) for fill lighting.

With things like flies and grasshoppers, I find I just have to take as many pictures as I can as quickly as possible and hope I get one or two keepers before they fly/hop away. We had a constant breeze that day, which made things even tougher.

I'm not at all familiar with that model camera you have, so I guess my best advice would probably be to scour the Panasonic forum here. There are a several guys/gals here who are masters of macro photography. Also, take a ton of pictures, try different angles, lighting, etc. It costs nothing and I believe it is the best way to learn.

Thanks for viewing and commenting!

Thanks for the response. I see you use a Sunpak 433D flash. Is that a digital dedicated flash or a flash from 35 mm days? The reason I ask is that I have a Vivitar 285 HV which is about 20 years old . I understand these old 'film' flashes have very high voltage and can fry a digital if attached to the hot shoe, but may be ok with a remote placement, activated by a slave unit?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:48 PM   #18

All outstanding shots RedStick ! Great detail. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:33 PM   #19

Excellent - I would like to see the cat in colour

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:55 AM   #20

Thanks Jim and Fred.

Here's the color version of the cat picture. I don't like the junk in the background, but at least the bucket matches her eye color.

Attached Images