Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:59 PM   #1

After reading Dave McGees comments on no difference between FZ50 and other FZ models I looked up a similar picture of a Southwest Airline plane I took about a year ago with my FZ30 and a like picture I took today. You be the judge! First picture is from the FZ30. Jim
Attached Images

tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:00 PM   #2

#2 Is same type of plane taken with FZ50. Both pictures cropped and a little PP. IMHO both cameras take very good pictures but I would have to pick the FZ50 as being better! Jim
Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:51 PM   #3

Jim, I just read the other post. and just got to this one. I would also give the edge to the FZ50, but then I am by no means an expert.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:30 PM   #4

Jerry, I'm no expert either but I know the 50 picture looks better than the 30! And it had less noise! Jim
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:05 PM   #5

i don't think you can make an objective observation the fz50 picture is better than the fz30. the two pictures are at slightly different angles, and they're at different zooms and/or distances.

logically, you know the fz50 is working with more pixels, so it follows it's going to provide a sharper picture. but these two pictures isn't an apples to apples test.
tafugate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:36 PM   #6

Tafugate, The angles shouldn't make any difference. The planes are of the same type and color, they were taken from approximately the same distance and position, the time of day is approx. the same, and there are no clouds in the sky. The 50 picture looks bigger giving the impression of it being closer because there are more pixels in the picture. Bottom line it wasn't mean't to be a controlled comparison only a quick example for interested parties to get an idea of a similar FZ30 and FZ50 picture. Everyone will see something different in the pictures and maybe will be able to judge whether the 50 has the quality they are looking for which is better than just reading negative reports on the camera! Thanks for your input. Jim
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:01 AM   #7

The underside of the plane looks better lit on the FZ50 image, is that due to the camera not taking as flat an image, or was the light possibly coming from enough of a different angle to light it up more, or maybe a reflection from something on the ground?

They're both very nice, between those two I like the FZ50 picture better, but is it bette because the camera is better or the environment is slightly different? Either way under those conditions the FZ50 can obviously take some very nice shots.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:52 AM   #8

Thanks for the comments John. I think the under side of the plane in the 50 shot being lighter is probably due to the 10mp sensor capturing more info, as in both shots the planes were pretty much at the same altitute and the lighting was similar. But I do think the 50 took a better picture. IMHO ! Jim
Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:04 AM   #9

Thanks for the link Jim.

Since there was a bit of post-production on both of them I guess this would make them equal in a sense. That said, the FZ50pictures are noticeably different. Maybe not too much sharper but it does show more detail. For example. if you look at the rearhorizontal stabilizers (rear tail section, white)you will see the lines in them that separate it from the rest of the section. The FZ30 doesn't show this.

Also take note of the deeper reds and orange on the underside of the plane. Of course I don't what any of this meansfrom a technical aspect but there is a difference and it shows up as a plus for the FZ50.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:26 AM   #10

Jim,

Thanks for posting the photos with no PP or NR work done. If you could please, try some birds and things with a lot of fine detail and let us know what you think. I'm interested in how the NR program works with thefiner details. Do you know if the same telephoto, wide angle and macro lenses are going to work on the fz50?

I've been waiting for someone here to be brave and take the step. I have just about everything for my FZ20 and if I decide to upgrade, it would bea lot easier to tellthe wife ifall the old stuff worked. Could even save me some embarrassment getting back up off the floor after she knocks me down. :G

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote