Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:25 PM   #11

Good luck to you but dont hold your breathe.

I don't know what the problem is with the Panasonics Photo/Video products division but other than the FZ1/FZ2 debacle I've not seen them release a firmware update.

As an FZ20 owner for 18 months, I'm well aware of some minor issues with the camera that could have been corrected via firmware (I presume).

I swore I'd never buy another Panasonic product but as I'm already sworn off HP products after the WinXP printer drivers farce I'm starting to run out of tech companies to buy from. :roll:

But don't give up hope!! I was shopping for a TV last month and was shocked to discover that Panasonic issues firmware updates for their Plasma and LCD HDTV's.

Here's the link to prove it... http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.co...downloads1.asp

[sarcasm]It astounded me that they even acknowledged their products were not perfect from intial release. [/sarcasm_off]

I was so taken aback by this revelation that I swooned and when I regained my composure I discovered I had driven myself to a local store and purchased one of their plasma's. I've even installed one of those updates, sweat beading on my brow, chewing my nails to the quick, and omg! it worked flawlessly!!!

Somewhere within the monsterously large halls of Panasonic NP there resides a group of engineers who truly know how to deal with firmware updates.

< joy

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 3:11 PM   #12

Quick update! Up to now, we collected 900+ petitioners. It seems, we will soon (tomorrow or so) turn over the 1000 signed people! Not bad for 15 days of running this small petition, what you think?

Leica now released their rebadged versions of LX2/FZ50 so we will see if the noise reduction and other image processing is less or more the same as in the original Panasonic cameras and if the same, I'm ready to extend this petition also to Leica equivalents of LX2/FZ50.
odklizec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 3:30 PM   #13

Im thinking that, outside of the models described
the general concensus in such a short time will not be lost on them
and will in all probability have something that will reshape marketing down the track

for the here and now, well...Id be impressed if they did something / anything quickly

a big thanks from me

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:54 AM   #14

First 1000 signatures done! Not bad for less than 3 weeks of running this petition and minimal announcement on major digital camera webs? Hope the Panasonic will listen the voice of customers It's sooo easy for them to add such a small feature into the firmware and get undying respect from their customers...

Old Sep 19, 2006, 8:09 AM   #15

youve done a lot of people a great service odklizec
Im not optimistic, but I hope it comes off

Riley
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:46 PM   #16

1350 and counting! We will soon celebrate one month of running this petition Of course, 1350 signed people is still nothing in comparison to all sold LX2/FZ50 cameras. But in my humble opinion, it's still a very solid number, especially if you get that not all customers surfing net, reading digital camera forums and with low public knowledge about this petition?

I'm sure, Panasonic could get many new loyal customers and undying respect from existing users, giving this little petition a go and do something really positive! Well, I have no doubt they will consider this feature addition to LX3/FZ60-70. But why waiting one year if it's sooo easy to do with just released cameras? What they can lost?..Nothing! They can only earn by listening their customers!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 3:00 PM   #17

you are doing an excellent and worthwhile job
one of panas problems will be that they dont have an organised system for firmware updates
hell we cant even be sure that it can be done in like fashion to other manufacturers
but even if they revert to FZ30 inards on the FZ50 chassis, many would be happy
they can do that, thats for sure
hail FZ40 !

Riley
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:50 AM   #18

le bump!

Riley
Old Oct 6, 2006, 5:54 PM   #19

Just a quick update..

After first month of running this little petition we collected over 1500 signatures (exactly 1570 for now) and the numbers still increasing. Sure, it's small number in comparison to all sold Lumix cameras. But it's solid proof of something wrong with default in-camera noise reduction, or at least a proof that some "pro" users simply need better control over in-camera NR. Check the people's comments in their signatures.

Unfortunately, we don't have any reaction from Panasonic yet. But it can have two reasons.. Panasonic simply playing dead horse, or most probably, the petition is running too short for an official reaction from Panasonic's side. Who knows? Maybe if we collect few more thousand of signatures, Panasonic will finally take us seriously? Or maybe not.. But at least we tried something. Wise marketing could easily turn this petition into their favor