Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:18 PM   #1

Hi folks! I just started a Panasonic firmware petition.

The main aim of this petition is to force the Panasonic to start releasing the firmware updates for their cameras. But mainly, force them to add an option in the latest FZ50/LX2 to turn the in-camera noise reduction completely OFF (just to add one simple parameter in Pict. Adj. menu).

For more details about the reasons of this petition, visit this dpreview forum discussion..
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19846460
and the petition alone is here..
http://www.gopetition.com/online/9523.html

odklizec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:01 AM   #2

what a groovy idea

what about coding your own firmware ?
that could be possible
then there are hybrid transfers of firmware for other cameras
I googled and came across this

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 firmware upgrade to FZ2

http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/71/90/

does anyone here know anything about this notion of writing your own firmware?

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:14 PM   #3

Hi Rriley...

Just for clarification, the FZ-1 to FZ-2 "upgrade" wasn't written by anyone, and it's been on the web for years. The FZ-1 was strictly a point-n-shooter, the FZ-2 was never released in the US. The only difference was a firmware upgrade that gave you aperture priority and shutter priority modes, and a few other items, but the manual control was the main thing.

"I think", only in japan, upgrade kits were sold for a fee, to upgrade the FZ-1 to the FZ-2. Of course, like all things digital, it eventually made its way to the web...

Just about everyone who has an FZ-1 on this board, self included, found the firmware patch, and upgraded for the manual control. I like the FZ-1 a lot. It's all the "Lumix" I need, but would never have purchased this camera had it not been for the firmware upgrade.

As far as writing your own firmware? I suppose if you can write code, it might not be too difficult an affair. Not something you would want to write from scratch, but if you had the original source code to review, might be something to try. I imagine these devices all use a similar coding language? Might be something to try with the FZ-1 if you're willing to part with the $100 or so they go for now used.
NickTrop_redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:31 PM   #4

I have since researched a bit more
yes I found and downloaded the firmware.bin on another site, just to check it out
it is possible the code is encrypted, it wont open with usual software for .bin
which would make modifications a tad difficult
the suspicions are that it was sourced from Panasonic
who loaded the file deliberately or not onto the memory card

Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:25 PM   #5

I think the two .bin file formats are actually different. These I don't think but don't quote me, aren't the same as the .bin/.cue files I think you mean.

This is from a site I will link to.

BIN parts are of particular interest for the file format consumer or updater since the underlying file formats are undocumented (at the time of writing, August 10 2006) and are several additional file formats to deal with.

On this site, where the quote is from, there is a "bin" reader (freeware):
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/office2007bin.asp

But you need Office 2007 to read it.
NickTrop_redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:59 PM   #6

No guys, I don't think there is a chance to write our own firmware without a detailed knowledge of camera internal architecture and used electronic. And even if we would know these details, which I'm sure knows only the Panasonic developers and manufacturers, writing such complicated thing like camera firmware (including noise reduction and similar "funny" features) is really not easy task

It would be better to leave the firmware development on the proper people with enough knowledge of camera internal devices. What we really need is that Panasonic should listen their customers.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:19 PM   #7

If they would just do as they should have in the first place......made a 7mp FZ40
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:50 PM   #8

sure...
with venus III running in venus II compatible mode ;-)

genece wrote:
Quote:
If they would just do as they should have in the first place......made a 7mp FZ40
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:48 AM   #9

BUMP!

I hope my side chat on this hasnt deterred support for this idea !

Riley
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:38 AM   #10

Don't worry..the petition is going well For now we collected 330 petitioners and more coming every hour.

There is now news announcement available at http://www.photographyblog.com and http://www.pixinfo.com . It would be great if also other digital camera web sites would support this idea. What we need is mainly Japanese and USA petitioners.Hope this idea will not die completely

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
BUMP!

I hope my side chat on this hasnt deterred support for this idea !

Riley