Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic Micro Four Thirds (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-micro-four-thirds-104/)
-   -   First time shooting with G3 outdoors (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-micro-four-thirds-104/first-time-shooting-g3-outdoors-204080/)

WCKSer Jan 14, 2013 7:18 PM

First time shooting with G3 outdoors

5 Attachment(s)
Today is a little warmer than the last few days. I took the G3 out for a test run in my neighborhood.

WCKSer Jan 15, 2013 12:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Five more pictures with the G3.

Tullio Jan 15, 2013 10:36 AM

All very nice. What camera settings did you use in terms of pic adjustment (standard, vivid, etc), contrast, saturation? Did you post-processed those shots heavily?

WCKSer Jan 15, 2013 9:23 PM

Tullio,

I am still learning and struggle at times using this camera. First of all, this camera is very small compared to my Canon equipments. Often times my fingers accidentally touch a button I shouldn't have and it screws the picture. Anyway, I like this camera a lot, perhaps good enough to take it to my next vacation.

Here is my camera settings:

Picture style: Standard
Contrast: +1
Sharpness: +2
Saturation: 0
I Dynamic: High
I Resolution: EX

I don't do much software post processing on these pictures just adjustment on the vibrancy, contrast, highlight and brightness using ACDSee Pro 3.0.

Picture #2 was taken with a polarizing filter on top of my Hoya HMC UV(0) filter. I was too lazy to remove the UV filter. It was difficult to judge if I set the polarizing filter correctly because my glasses change color in the sunlight making it hard to see. However, the result came out pretty well even I didn't know what I was doing.

Again, thank you for your help on the camera and other topics.

Tullio Jan 15, 2013 10:41 PM

Thanks for sharing the info. Your camera settings are very close to what I have set except for iDynamic, which I have it set to standard. I've also been playing with Photo Style set to Natural instead of standard. The colors are not as saturated but it seems like DR is a bit better.

WCKSer Jan 15, 2013 11:50 PM

I am changing the Picture Style to Natural and give it a try. Les also mentioned setting it to natural on a previous posting.

Tullio Jan 16, 2013 9:50 AM

According to the user's guide, Natural produces softer images. I like sharp images so I'm not sure I'll be keeping this setting. I quite liked the images you posted here. The colors are rich but with a natural look.

WCKSer Jan 16, 2013 11:25 AM

The 14-42mm kit lens is not bad at all although the 14-45mm is a lot superior considering the fact that I only paid $50 for the 14-42mm with the G3. I don't know what I can get with $50 these days. The first picture was taken with the 14-42mm and the image comes out surprisingly sharp. The ducks were taken with the 45-200mm and it also working out pretty well providing that they are not moving or moving very fast. I guess this is the drawback of a M4/3 camera but then I have my Canon for that purpose anyway.

Tullio Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM

To get good results with the 45-200mm, you have to really follow the RoT for shutter speed (1/FL). Since this is a slow lens, good light is a must when shooting above 125mm. Besides this lens I also have the Zuiko 40-150mm. It's smaller and much lighter but it does not have image stabilization. However, even though the G3 does not have IBIS, I manage to get much sharper images with it than with the 45-200mm. It is of course 100mm shorter but I think it's a good compromise. The G3 AF system is very fast compared to older m4/3 models (both from Panasonic and Olympus).