Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:21 PM   #1

Default Legacy Lens Samples: Canon FD 70-210 f/4 Macro

Since we now have a dedicated Panasonic Micro Four Thirds forum, I thought a useful addition here might be a few galleries illustrating the performance of various adapted (and OEM) lenses with the G-series Lumix cameras.

I've posted some with this lens over in the Panasonic/Leica DSLR forum, but I thought I'd kick things off here with some new samples from my favourite Canon FD lens - the 70-210 f/4 Macro - and these four were all hand-held, taken in the macro focus zone at 70mm.

If you have samples taken with this lens, please add them - the more examples, the better! Oh, and please feel free to add c&c on these pics too

"All screwed up"

"Open"

"G-sharp"

"You've not got mail"

Last edited by mrmacmusic; Jun 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM.
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:02 AM   #2

Here's another one, this time wide open (f/4) at 210mm.

"Fancy a cone?"
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:56 AM   #3

Great pics. Several times I thought about buying this lens but since I already have the Lumix 55-200mm, I thought I could put the money elsewhere. I do have some FD lenses and find them to be excellent performers.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Great pics. Several times I thought about buying this lens but since I already have the Lumix 55-200mm, I thought I could put the money elsewhere. I do have some FD lenses and find them to be excellent performers.
Cheers Tullio. Maybe I have a particularly good copy, but I do find the 70-210 is sharp, renders good colour and contrast, and has a very serviceable 'macro' capability... not bad for a lens that only cost me 10.

It may not have autofocus, and there's no OIS, but I think that's no bad thing - it forces me to ensure that my brain is engaged before pressing the shutter, and hopefully my photography will improve as a result
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:36 AM   #5

I miss not having IBIS on the G1. That would be the icing on the cake for sure. I bought the EP1 exactly because of the IBIS however, the lack of an EVF is worse than not having IS.

Tullio
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I miss not having IBIS on the G1. That would be the icing on the cake for sure. I bought the EP1 exactly because of the IBIS however, the lack of an EVF is worse than not having IS.
I certainly can't deny that having in-body stabilisation would be beneficial when shooting with old FD lenses (or any legacy glass for that matter), and even though I've yet to use the excellent EVF on my GH1, at least it'll be there when I do need to use it!

However, there are times I think that IBIS and optical stabilisation are somewhat over-rated. Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning their usefulness (particularly at the long end of things), but I do think that modern all-singing all-dancing cameras like the GH1 can easily make you complacent - it's all too easy to turn the dial to "P" and fire away, not giving a second thought to how much assistance the camera is giving you. Using legacy lenses makes you think

OK, so with the OIS-enabled kit lens I can hand-hold a shot right out at 140mm at 1/30s (or slower), where that's almost impossible with the FD 70-210.... but it's not all bad news for the old lens, as that's only all well and good if the subject is stationary. Subject movement calls for raising the shutter speed, often to the point where having stabilisation simply isn't necessary. When shooting with the 70-210, I find using the old rule of thumb (shutter speed = 1/ focal length) gives me sharp hand-held shots without the assistance of IBIS or OIS, and sometimes I can shoot slower.

I get the most enjoyment out my GH1 when shooting with my small selection of FD lenses. Even if you don't have old glass of your own, try turning off all the automatic assistance, and turning on the brain - like me, I'm sure you will find it enlightening
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:36 AM   #7

I love shooting with my G1 and some old lenses as well. My favorites are the Chinons (PK mount). They make MF very easy by creating a hollow/jagged edge effect when the image is totally on focus. Some times the FD lenses do that too but not as much. The Chinon lenses surprised me. I started out with a 50mm f1.9, and loved it. Then I got a f1.7 and that stays on my G1 almost exclusively. It produces great bokeh, it's sharp and colors are excellent. All that for $10 on eBay. Then I started looking for a Chinon macro and came across the 35-70mm. The lens has two rings, one for focus and the other to change the FL and engage the macro. The neat thing is, you can use the macro ring to achieve focus as well and since it's a tighter ring, you get more focus accuracy. I've been looking for a Chinon long zoom but haven't found one. I have some FD and Vivitar (FD mount) glasses as well and they are very good, particularly the Vivitar 55mm macro (1:1). It's a bulky lens considering its FL but image quality is superb. Now, I obtain great pictures shooting with these lenses on the G1 but I noticed that once I get to 135mm, things start to deteriorate as far as sharpness goes (that's when IBIS would help). The EP1 allows me to get clearer pictures as long as I manage to focus properly (I ware reading glasses, which does not help matters).

Tullio
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:59 PM   #8

GH1 + Vivitar 70-210/3.5 macro

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 3:59 PM   #9

Very nice Donald (?) - looks like your Vivitar renders vivid colours and contrasty images too, and it's a bit faster than my Canon!

On other matters, my GH1 is black, but I have to say your red model looks quite sporty

Last edited by mrmacmusic; Jun 22, 2010 at 4:02 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:13 PM   #10

Default Legacy squirrel....

Having posted some squirrel shots with the 14-140 kit lens, I thought it worth posting here an example taken the same morning with my Canon FD 70-200 f/4 lens for comparison....

IMHO, I think that once again, the lens demonstrates very good sharpness, contrast and colour, with subjectively nicer background blur here.

C&C welcome as ever

Click here to view the earlier post with kit lens samples