Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:03 PM   #1

Default Recommendations?

Well, it appears I may be in a position to reconsider my micro four-thirds equipment. That's because I pulled a real good one by LOSING my Olympus E-PL1 and VF-2 electronic viewfinder!

My wife and I were departing for a trip to Florida last week. The airport limo stopped outside the departure terminal and we all got out to retrieve our luggage from the trunk. I don't know whether I left my camera bag inside the limo or perhaps set it on the car's huge rear bumper (Lincoln Town Car) but we noticed we didn't have the camera bag when we arrived at the luggage check-in area. Yes, we called the limo company and even airport police/lost and found. But the Olympus kit was gone.

Assuming it wasn't destroyed after flying off the bumper at speed, someone has themselves a nice little kit: Olympus E-PL1, VF-2 viewfinder, two batteries and two SanDisk Extreme III 4-gig memory cards... all in a nice little Tamrac Digital Zoom 2 bag. I'm going through Amex to see if their purchase protection program will cover me. But this episode has to be one of my top screw-ups of all time.

One consolation is that I took only the kit lens... leaving the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake at home. I guess I can simply replace the E-PL1, wait to see what Olympus will bring out to replace the E-P1 and E-P2 - or consider a Panasonic G2, a leftover G1 for $500... or whatever. Any recommendations from the Panasonic side of the micro four-thirds club?

Last edited by Biro; Jul 3, 2010 at 1:09 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2010, 9:59 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about your camera loss, Biro. What a bummer! At least you still have the 20mm, which itself costs more than 50% of some of the camera options you're considering. Here's my personal thoughts. I doubt Oly will replace the EP1/EP2 as it does not make much sense to do so. The EPL1 is probably it and any upgrades will be made to it. I don't believe people would be willing to pay $200+ for an EP3(?)...well, some may but not many. The G1 is an excellent camera (although it has no video capability or IBIS) going for a very attractive price but if you want to go with Pana, then I'd seriously consider the G2. I believe it has the same sensor as the GH1, which is probably the best m4/3 camera out there. The EPL1 is selling for $524 with the kit lens, a very attractive price. Me, I'd go with the G2 because of its viewfinder. You mentioned that you had a viewfinder with your lost EPL1, which makes me believe you prefer a viewfinder over the LCD so the G2 may be a better option. I think that by the time you add the EVF, the EPL1 price is not so attractive anymore, not to mentioned that it is another piece of equipment that you have to carry, making the EPL1 a slightly bigger package. I just wonder if Oly will ever come out with a model that's similar to the G2, with an EVF and IBIS. That would be awesome!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:45 AM   #3

Thanks for the thoughts, Tullio. Yes, your point about the size and price of the E-PL1 with the EVF compared with the G2/GH1/G1 has occurred to me. And, while I really loved the E-PL1... shooting outdoors without a viewfinder just doesn't work well at all.

Video isn't that important to me, so the G1 at $500 is very attractive. But the better sensor in the GH1/G2 does make a difference. So, at least right now, the G2 seems to make the most sense.

Conversely, the E-PL1 is a bit better than the Pannys when it comes to image noise at higher ISO's... and Panasonic's micro four-thirds lenses are markedly more money than the Oly Zuikos. There are rumors of product announcements from Panasonic prior to Photokina, so I'm eagerly awaiting those.

BTW, when I registered my E-PL1 with Olympus for the warranty, I actually sent Olympus USA a separate message asking them for just the kind of camera you mentioned: micro four-thirds with a built-in viewfinder. I'd like more manual dial controls on the outside and an AMOLED (or at least higher resolution) LCD on the back. But if it turned out to be an E-PL1 with a viewfinder, I'd probably be happy.

I pointed out to Olympus that Panasonic's G10 with its built-in (and admittedly lower-resolution) EVF is strong competition for the E-PL1. They promised to forward my thoughts to the marketing people.

Last edited by Biro; Jul 4, 2010 at 11:47 AM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote