Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 12, 2010, 6:05 AM   #1

Default A Couple of Questions (G1)

Hi, everyone.

I'm a newcomer to this particular forum although I've been on the regular Panasonic forum for quite a while. I have used The FZ1, FZ15, FZ18 and currently I use the FZ30 which I am trying to sell since I ordered the G1 yesterday. I expect it will arrive this week.
This leads me to my questions. Here in Canada, the replacement battery for the G1 is about $90. Has anyone found a cheaper alternative that works well? I saw that Battery Barn has a model for about $30 with the unit ID of DMW-BLB13. (There is no "e" at the end. The official Panasonic battery has an "e". Is this significant?). Secondly, I have been using a simple auto thyristor flash (ProMaster FT1700) with my FZ30. Would I be able to use this with the G1 if I shot in manual and adjusted the flash settings to the camera settings?
Thanks in advance for any help with these questions.

Garth
garthmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:40 AM   #2

Hi garthmoe... because you're buying one of the late-run G1's, I suspect you may have to purchase an "official" Panasonic battery. Over the past year or so, the company has been incorporating software in its cameras that block the use of anything but a Panasonic-branded battery. The company says the move is intended to prevent camera damage due to the use of substandard aftermarket batteries - much to the ire of many of its customers worldwide. Still, the company may have a point. And, if you damage your camera if an aftermarket battery malfunctions, I'm sure the warranty would be voided. I don't know if there are software hacks to get around this...but it may not be worth it.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:06 AM   #3

Thank, Biro, for your reply. I have noticed the reaction on various boards about Panasonic's chipped batteries. It seems like the company really wants to corner the market. But yes, it's probably best to use their batteries rather than risk a problem with such a good camera.
Do you have any thoughts re the question I raised about the flash unit? I noticed in another post that talked about flash that one of the people who responded seem to say that a basic flash could be used with manual settings, but I can't find anything conclusive on the net.
Again, thanks for your reply.

Garth
garthmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:36 PM   #4

Panasonic introduced the battery check in firmware 1.3. However, when Panasonic first released f/w 1.4, they forgot to add the battery check code and many people who downloaded 1.4 as soon as it came out, noticed that after installing the 1.4 f/w, 3rd party batteries were working once again. Obviously it not take long for Panasonic to realize the mistake, pull the 1.4 f/w from their site and later replace with a new f/w (still 1.4) including the battery check code. Luckily, some people uploaded to the net the 1.4 f/w w/o the battery check. So, if your camera is at f/w 1.3, you can search for the 1.4 f/w w/o the battery check and install that one if you really want to use 3rd party batteries. Once the normal 1.4 code is installed in the camera, it can no longer be regressed.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:11 PM   #5

Sorry I missed your last message garthmoe... but I can't conclusively answer your flash question. There are all kinds of voltage and amperage factors to consider in terms of preventing camera damage. If I were you, I'd call a reputable camera shop and ask them. Here in the U.S., places like B&H Photo, Adorama and Camera Land - all in New York - are good places to start. If you ask Panasonic, they'll just tell you to use their equipment.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote