Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:40 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post

I have a horrible feeling Photokina will be a bit of a 3D-fest. I do hope I'm wrong

i have a feeling that there will be plenty of that there. panny already announced their 3d lens. and then all the hype from sony on their 3d capabilities. everyone else will be joining the "me too" crowd, however impractical 3d photography really is for the majority of ppl.

hate to see something like that interfere with innovation that will be useful for a broader audience.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:30 PM   #12

I agree... but companies like Panasonic, Sony and maybe even Samsung will be pushing 3D. After all, they're trying to get people to buy all those 3D TV sets and media players they'll be making.

Last edited by Biro; Aug 4, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:04 PM   #13

Quote:
I was puzzled (still am) why Panasonic chose to replace the G1 with two models (G2/G10), so there's certainly a precedent for a GF2 and GF10 - one having slightly 'more' features and being a bit 'better' than the other, but neither fully living up to expectation or hype

I have a horrible feeling Photokina will be a bit of a 3D-fest. I do hope I'm wrong
I had the G1, which I've passed on to my brother, and I now have a G2.
It is more than just a "slight" features upgrade, because it has video. The touch screen relating to the selection of the focus point is also good. I would say that the G2 was a good logical upgrade, but the G10 doesn't seem to fit.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 3:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
It is more than just a "slight" features upgrade, because it has video. The touch screen relating to the selection of the focus point is also good. I would say that the G2 was a good logical upgrade, but the G10 doesn't seem to fit.
Apologies if I offended you... I wasn't suggesting the G2 was a bad (or "slight") upgrade, more the fact that there doesn't seem to be any reason to have brought out both a G2 and a G10

Here in the UK you can buy G10 and G2 kits for 440 and 505 respectively, so it's not even as if the G10 is significantly cheaper. As far as I can see reading the headline features, the articulated (touch) screen, high-resolution EVF and HD video flavour are really all that separate the two models. Maybe I'm wrong to see these as "slight" differences..?

I agree that the G2 is a nice upgrade to the G1, particularly if you delve deeper into the specs, but that G10...well, I just don't understand why. Maybe it's just me
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 5:22 AM   #15

3D fest ?
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Apologies if I offended you... I wasn't suggesting the G2 was a bad (or "slight") upgrade, more the fact that there doesn't seem to be any reason to have brought out both a G2 and a G10

Here in the UK you can buy G10 and G2 kits for 440 and 505 respectively, so it's not even as if the G10 is significantly cheaper. As far as I can see reading the headline features, the articulated (touch) screen, high-resolution EVF and HD video flavour are really all that separate the two models. Maybe I'm wrong to see these as "slight" differences..?

I agree that the G2 is a nice upgrade to the G1, particularly if you delve deeper into the specs, but that G10...well, I just don't understand why. Maybe it's just me
It's not just you. But the G10 makes more sense in the U.S. market because its list price is a couple of hundred dollars less than the G2 - and exactly the same price as Olympus's E-PL1. Same price as the Oly with a built-in EVF (even if lower resolution than Oly's optional VF2). There's your reason. I can see the G10 kit as very appealing to newbies moving up from point-and-shoots... at least in North America.

Last edited by Biro; Aug 4, 2010 at 10:57 AM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 3:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
It's not just you. But the G10 makes more sense in the U.S. market because its list price is a couple of hundred dollars less than the G2 - and exactly the same price as Olympus's E-PL1. Same price as the Oly with a built-in EVF (even if lower resolution than Oly's optional VF2). There's your reason. I can see the G10 kit as very appealing to newbies moving up from point-and-shoots... at least in North America.
A couple of hundred dollars? Crikey!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
Quote:

Absolutely no offence taken!!!!

The pricing for Panasonic micro 4/3 (an Oly to a lesser extent) is a puzzle.

For example, I live in Japan, and the prices are WAY cheaper for these models than anywhere else (which is sometimes not the case when compared to the US)

For example, your prices in the UK for one lens kit:

G10, 440 = $700 USD
G2, 505 = $800 USD

And in the USA for one lens kit(Amazon):

G10, 440 = $550 USD
G2, 505 = $725 USD

And in Japan for one lens kit:

G10, 48,500 yen = $645 USD (!!!)
G2, 55,500 yen = $560 USD

And in Japan for TWO lens kit:

G2, 66,000 yen = $765 USD !!!!!

So in Japan, the G2 is $240 USD cheaper than in the UK, and $165 cheaper than in the US.

AND the G2 TWO LENS KIT in Japan, is $35 USD cheaper than the ONE lens kit in the UK, and only $40 more than the ONE lens kit in the US!!!!!!!!

So effectively, you can buy a G2 two lens kit in Japan for close to the price of a one lens kit elsewhere!!!!!!

HOWEVER, the G10 is expensive in Japan..... To tell you the truth, I don't think the G10 was EVER meant to be a Japanese market camera. I don't think it sells well in Japan, and for good reason: it is more expensive than the G2!!!!!!!

And for those who need a "spare" G1 body, you can find a good one second hand for less than $200 USD. (which I have!!!)
Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:05 PM   #19

It is the VAT and taxes, it makes thing more in the EU.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It is the VAT and taxes, it makes thing more in the EU.
Those Japanese prices include tax (GST), which in any case, is only 5% !!!