Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:21 AM   #1

Default Lumix GH2

http://www.panasonic.de/html/de_DE/P...?view=&angle=1
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:39 AM   #2

I'm keen to see what the real GH2 looks like.... hopefully it won't be too long now

On a not unrelated matter, I had been thinking about getting a GF1 as a second body (to complement my GH1), but I have to say, the newly announced LX5 is making me re-consider, especially as I've still not found a suitable replacement for our ageing Fuji F30 compact. My wife wasn't keen on the 2.5x zoom range of the LX3, but the new LX5 sorts that and adds a few nice bells and whistles into the bargain.... seriously tempting!!

I do now also wonder what's in store for the (real) GF2?
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:18 PM   #3

If the body of the GF2 is the same size as the GF1, then what improvements will there be to make it worthwhile upgrading?

This is why I suspect that the GF2 will be smaller
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
If the body of the GF2 is the same size as the GF1, then what improvements will there be to make it worthwhile upgrading?

This is why I suspect that the GF2 will be smaller
I suspect the improvements will be similar to the G2 over the G1... i.e. touchscreen controls, etc. This is just me, but I pretty much expect the GF2 to be about the same size as the GF1. Unless...

Does anyone remember stories about Panasonic filing a patent for a GF2-type camera with a built-in electronic viewfinder? Not like the G or GH series cameras. More like a rangefinder. A camera like this would get my attention - whether the viewfinder was electronic or optical (rangefinder style).
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
I'm keen to see what the real GH2 looks like.... hopefully it won't be too long now

On a not unrelated matter, I had been thinking about getting a GF1 as a second body (to complement my GH1), but I have to say, the newly announced LX5 is making me re-consider, especially as I've still not found a suitable replacement for our ageing Fuji F30 compact. My wife wasn't keen on the 2.5x zoom range of the LX3, but the new LX5 sorts that and adds a few nice bells and whistles into the bargain.... seriously tempting!!

I do now also wonder what's in store for the (real) GF2?
Hi Mac... see my separate post about GH2 speculation. Meanwhile... I can tell you this: I still pick up and use my LX3 quite often. Yes, it still has a much-smaller sensor than anything four-thirds, micro or otherwise. And it has no viewfinder, just the LCD (although it's a good one). But the camera still punches well above its weight and delivers fine performance up to ISO 800. And the fast lens keeps you from needing ISO 800 most of the time.

Since it'll probably be tough getting an LX5 for a while (just as with the LX3), there's no rush (unless you're worried about the GF1 supply drying up). But the smaller form factor of the LX series is worth taking into consideration. If you really need low-light performance, use the GH1 with the 20mm f/1.7 pancake.

On the other hand, if your wife just prefers the GF1 (or the price drops some more), you can't go wrong. So far, early previews/reviews don't necessary find image quality in this year's Panasonic MFT cameras to be much different from last year's. It's features they're offering.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:27 AM   #6

Just an update... I stumbled on this bit of rumor/speculation about the new GF2 today.

http://www.43rumors.com/getting-clos...umors-summary/
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:30 PM   #7

interesting, if the gf2 is that small, it would be interesting to see if they can actually fit a evf in it, and if so. How small will it be.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:25 PM   #8
Super Moderator

i think the GF2 will just be a modest upgrade to the GF1 with touchscreen, better video etc.

The EVF mounted GF-x will be a separate entity i think.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:40 PM   #9

Personally, I think they will go for a tiny GF-y without an EVF to compete directly with the Sony mirrorless, and the GF-x with the EVF will be about the same size as the GF-1.

From a product range point of view, this would make sense..... You have the original "compact" GF-1(with a reduced price after the new models are released), a tiny GF-y model, and a fully capable GF-x model with EVF.

But of course, sometimes the selection process does not make sense....
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
...this would make sense..... You have the original "compact" GF-1(with a reduced price after the new models are released), a tiny GF-y model, and a fully capable GF-x model with EVF.

But of course, sometimes the selection process does not make sense....
I was puzzled (still am) why Panasonic chose to replace the G1 with two models (G2/G10), so there's certainly a precedent for a GF2 and GF10 - one having slightly 'more' features and being a bit 'better' than the other, but neither fully living up to expectation or hype

I have a horrible feeling Photokina will be a bit of a 3D-fest. I do hope I'm wrong
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote