Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:30 AM   #1

Default GH1 does budget telephoto...

A couple of rabbits breakfasting outside the office window seemed like the perfect opportunity to give my tele-zoom and tele-converter a try. I had been considering getting rid of them, but I've changed my mind – it seems they might be useful after all.....

These samples were shot through an open window, with the lens resting on my hand (for focus) and the window-frame. I do prefer shooting hand-held, but at these focal lengths, it's very tricky to frame and focus on the GH1 without additional support. I guess I might have to invest in a tripod ring and monopod

The lens used was the Canon FD 100-300 f5.6 (bought for 10) and Vivitar 2x macro-focusing teleconverter (only cost 3). I did say 'budget' telephoto....

I thought these would be useful to share, and C&C welcome as always!

300mm, f5.6 ISO400 1/400 i.e. 600mm equivalent

300mm + 2xTC, f5.6 ISO1600 1/250 i.e. 1200mm equivalent

300mm + 2xTC, f5.6 ISO800 1/250 i.e. 1200mm equivalent
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:04 AM   #2

For those who don't know what a GH1 with 100-300mm zoom, 2x teleconverter and m43 adapter looks like, I should really have included this.... I like to call it "the Beast"
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:41 AM   #3

Nice pictures...very sharp with lots of details. The combo worked well. The ensemble is quite big, though. No way one can shoot w/o a sturdy tripod, specially considering that the Gnn cameras do not have IBIS to help.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:37 AM   #4

Default How to support..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Nice pictures...very sharp with lots of details. The combo worked well. The ensemble is quite big, though. No way one can shoot w/o a sturdy tripod, specially considering that the Gnn cameras do not have IBIS to help.
Cheers Tullio.... I completely agree

I was quite surprised the photos turned out as well, considering my 'support' was far from sturdy - 1/250 can't be bad going at 300x2 (x crop factor = 1200mm!!)?

Any thoughts on how to support this when I'm 'out and about' (i.e. when there are no window frames around)..... The 100-300mm borders on the too heavy to support via the camera tripod mount - at least, I'm not brave enough to trust it - and with the 2xTC it definitely tips the combo over the edge.

Sadly there's no tripod ring option on that lens, although there might just be room to adapt something (far from ideal). I wondered about using a monopod with hand strap, and using that strap wrapped around the teleconverter (or even lens) barrel.... worth a try?

Any other ideas folks?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:00 AM   #5

GH1 + Makinon 500m/f=8 ... = 1000mm

avilable for 125 € from Samyang
http://www.walimex-shop.at/product_i...-Canon-AF.html

800mm/f=8 .. price 245 €
http://www.walimex-shop.at/product_i...-Canon-AF.html

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:28 AM   #6

Very happy how this turned out all things considered... captured from my back garden on a rare night that I could actually see the moon through a break in the clouds! Shot with my Canon FD 100-300mm (300mm, f8) and Vivitar 2x TC, using a not so sturdy tripod and wired remote release

Looking forward to trying this combo when the moon isn't quite so full for some even more interesting crater action
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
Looking forward to trying this combo when the moon isn't quite so full for some even more interesting crater action
Nice shot. What do you mean by "crater action"? I don't believe the phases of the Moon affects what we see in terms of craters since the Moon side facing the Earth is always the same.

Tullio
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:34 AM   #8

Cheers Tullio! I'm no expert, but I presumed that as we moved through the lunar phases, the angle of light hitting the moon is progressively less 'face on' and would therefore reveal more craters - I'm hoping to get something like this, although I fear I might need a telescope for that
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:12 PM   #9

No, you won't need a telescope, I don't think. But, you might need a longer lens.

Tullio
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:02 PM   #10

EPL1 + Vivitar 70-200mm ($10, @200) handheld, home-made $5 "EVF":

Last edited by sdcs; Sep 30, 2010 at 3:07 PM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote